• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

casual wear for middle aged men

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to start a discussion about casual wear for middle aged men.
Most blokes that I see don't give a toss what they look like but as we are on Styleforum I am guessing that we do.
So what clothes / shoes do you like ? what should be avoided ? what is too young ? etc etc.

When I say casual I mean casual not formal,maybe up to a level of Blazer/trousers/shoes but not suits,dinner jackets or top hats.
My personal dislike is blokes who dress as if they are still in their teens,its cringeworthy.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I wear casual clothes 95% of the time. I mix items. Can be Sport Coat and jeans; Trucker and Chinos; Bomber jacket and work trousers… etc. Tops can be shirts, polo/Tennis shirt, Tshirts… Trousers : jeans (American or Japanese), Chinos, wool trousers, even 'fatigues'...
I avoid shorts, but that's personal preference. Now what makes the difference imho, and what is important when you reached a certain age, is to wear quality items.
A good pair of shoes and most of the job is already done.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Clouseau,I think that middle aged men are a neglected group on Styleforum and in general,maybe blokes don't like to classify themselves as middle aged ?

This summer I have been making an attempt to get away from trainers and polo shirts.
For footwear I have been wearing various Boat shoes and loafers and if I have to walk any distance I bought a pair of Ecco Luca as an alternative to trainers.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes people don't always like to be confronted to reality, but let's face it, once you reached 40 years old, you are a middle aged man IMO.

Now it is true that our minds don't age like our bodies. I still feel like a young man in my head, but i'm 53. So there are items i feel i can't wear now. Some people don't mind, it is their choice, i have no problem with that.
I think there is enough choice among casual wear to find the appropriate items.

There is certainly an item i will have a problem to quit… Jeans.
I do know older people who wear them with a certain style.
As long as you avoid double denim !

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Some casual items that interest me for this summer…
rancourt.jpg
Rancourt summer beefrolls

Lee 'Grey selvedge'.jpg
Lee 101 'grey selvedge' in Kurashiki denim...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that jeans can be contentious,I think that fit is the biggest problem,the other morning I was stood behind a bloke in a shop and he was wearing Tellason jeans,a nice make of jeans but they looked terrible on him as they were to big and much to long.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some casual items that interest me for this summer…
View attachment 990303
Rancourt summer beefrolls

View attachment 990304
Lee 101 'grey selvedge' in Kurashiki denim...

Now I like these Lee jeans,very nice.
I like the Rancourt loafers but not the soles.
I would like to buy a pair of Rancourt beef roll loafers but they seem impossible to buy in the UK, I have Bass and Grensons which look ok but no where near the quality of Rancourt.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I like the classic Rancourt beefrolls too, but as we are near summer…

This is a casual SW&D fit (i posted a while back in the 'bomber challenge') that i find age appropriate, while still being contemporary.

G02.jpg

All Uniqlo, apart the Adidas GAT and the Austrian Silhouette glasses (that cost much more than all the clothes and the shoes!).
An example maybe of a quality item that makes the difference.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All looks good Clouseau.

As you said about wearing casual clothes 95% of the time,its the same for me,today was shopping at Ikea and then a pub lunch.
Bass Weejuns
Jeans (Armani J21)
Ralph Lauren BD polo
Barbour Aetna...well its a British summer so the rain is warm.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Today.
Black Uniqlo G4
John Smedley brown 'Milo' polo
501 raw 'Marlon'
Cognac Weejuns

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
...When I say casual I mean casual not formal,maybe up to a level of Blazer/trousers/shoes but not suits,dinner jackets or top hats.
My personal dislike is blokes who dress as if they are still in their teens,its cringeworthy.

I took this picture in Venezia several years ago. It is a little shop called 'Black Watch', the items in the window are very 'Casual Chic' IMO.
Black watch Venise.JPG

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, day off outside of Toronto:

Navy Superga Cotu
raw 501's
White Michael Spencer oxford buttondown
charcoal Outlier Type III style jacket
Tortoise Ray Ban Wayfarers.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, day off outside of Toronto:

Navy Superga Cotu
raw 501's
White Michael Spencer oxford buttondown
charcoal Outlier Type III style jacket
Tortoise Ray Ban Wayfarers.

Very tidy and casual,welcome Botolph.

I usually only wear sunglasses when I am driving but last year in London I bought some Monokel sunglasses,a bit of a modern take on the Wayfarer,plus they have a Zeiss lens at a reasonable price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads