• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual Vests

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Already tried the noob thread, and a search didn't yield what I was looking for. Cross poasted from Ask Q Get A:

Originally Posted by HgaleK
I'm looking for casual vests. Something that I can wear with jeans, a casual button down, and boots. I'd rather avoid: sweater vests, suit specific vests (hard to pull off casually imo), anything too (for lack of a better word) hipstery (As in 2 button, black, shawl collar, loose fit), or too expensive. I've seen a few good looking cotton twill ones, a some gorgeous tweed examples as well, but they're a bit too much given my current monetary constraints. Preferably ~50ish (below is even better) but up to around $125 if it's a hell or a deal or just that good.

Examples of what I'm talking about:

LL Bean Anybody have any experience with this one? It's actually pretty damn near what I'm thinking of.

A little less conservative example, and about the upper end of how bulky/puffy/visually interesting I'm willing to go

And another

Just incase anyone is looking to sell, I'm a 38r.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Usually the guy that wears an odd vest is also that guy who wears some terrible hat.

Don't be that guy.

47191470.jpg

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Usually the guy that wears an odd vest is also that guy who wears some terrible hat.

Don't be that guy.

47191470.jpg

Was thinking more along these lines, but less douchey, less tie, one less button done, and in jeans
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:429,r:19,s:99

Again, no tie
092809_2043_DoYouHaveWh1.png

No belt studs, more room for my balls, less melanin, and indigo jeans
vest.png

Or like the scruffy dude, but without scruff because I can't grow, and without the denim tuxedo thing.
http://www.valetmag.com/style/produc..._bottom_module

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd vests worn casually will never not look affected.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Was thinking more along these lines, but less douchey, less tie, one less button done, and in jeans
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:429,r:19,s:99

Again, no tie
092809_2043_DoYouHaveWh1.png

No belt studs, more room for my balls, less melanin, and indigo jeans
vest.png

Or like the scruffy dude, but without scruff because I can't grow, and without the denim tuxedo thing.
http://www.valetmag.com/style/produc..._bottom_module

The 2nd pic looks like the model sized down on, it's too short.

TS if you want a cheap vest check out H&M and other similar stores. I got one from there a while ago that I never even wore.

a2_hennessy

Reaction score
I've always thought that vests without suits are a really douchey-bro look. Especially the white t-shirt + vest look.
10455506615_400.jpg
Guy's got an entirely different problem if he's seriously stepping outside with those shoes, though...

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, the filson western looks pretty nice, in theory... I haven't seen it in real life. Jkissi recently posted a WAYWT with a vest and a henley underneath that i thought was pretty cool.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a2_hennessy
I've always thought that vests without suits are a really douchey-bro look. Especially the white t-shirt + vest look.
Guy's got an entirely different problem if he's seriously stepping outside with those shoes, though...

I don't think that's a guy...

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I don't think that's a guy...

That's the problem with many orientals lol. You can't tell if it's a guy or a girl.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb
That's the problem...
Problem?
mwink[1].gif

I think it sort of works in that pic because it's a girl (I think), so the look is sort of oversized tshirt, open vest (ie "stolen boyfriend" clothes) and a hat so you know she's all hipster like.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a2_hennessy

10455506615_400.jpg

You can see the silhouette of the breasts.

chroMe

Reaction score
Go to an upscale charity shop and pick up a tweed blazer with aim to tear it up, source a pattern/pic or a vest/waistcoat you like - bring it to a tailor's or talented friend and voila.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics