• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual trousers that aren't jeans...

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't really need them, but I'd like some. The criteria - 28-29 waist, ideally a 30 length, flat-front, slim-fitting in the seat and thigh, a fairly wide, boot-cut or flared leg opening, and I'd prefer not to spend a mint on each pair. I'm looking for pairs in black, charcoal, camel, chestnut brown, cream, olive green and white. Corduroy, cotton twill, flannel, worsted wool, and techy fabrics are all good, and I'd wear solids, stripes, checks, herringbones, houndstooth or whatever. Can anyone think of any sources - hopefully online or mail-order - where I can find what I'm looking for? I've already trawled Yoox, Bluefly, BR and Lands' End - more obscure sites would be welcome. Otherwise, I'm looking at a very slow process of finding the fabrics and getting them MTM. Thanks a bunch...

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There should be quite a few sources out there. Brands to look at are:
Incotex
Mabitex
Valentini

for a more casual/fashion forward style (other than the obvious Gucci/Prada):
Pal Zileri
Reporter
Kenzo

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add:
Stone Island and C.P Company

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, T4phage.

I've seen Reporter trousers in a size 28 on a few websites - could you comment on the quality?

Anyone else?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reporter pants aren't too bad, I have two pairs and have held up well over time. Slim fitting, flat fronted and decently priced.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bump.gif
Bumped for more replies. Anyone else?

Reaction score
Hmm... John Varvatos, Theory, and Gucci's 03/04 FW collection. A more afforadable alternative might be Express. Banana Republic used to make them but no more (why in the world? That was the only reason I would go to their stores.).

My experience tells me that when most of online retailers say 'straight-leg' it actually means tapered-leg, while what they say 'boot cut' is actually staright-leg (Bluefly is one of them).

Actually I have the same concern for myself and I'm.. I'm rather pathologically anal about the length of leg oepning of trousers I buy. I don't have temerity to go into store with a tape measure, so I carry in my wallet a folded piece of paper on which two lengths are marked: 9.5" and 10", the former being the absolute minimum and the latter the ideal length. OK I said too much about myself but 1/4" does absolutely make a world of differences for me...

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I'm exactly the same way. After getting out of car, or climbing a steep flight of steps, it's a minor - but continuous - annoyance to have to grab a narrow trouser leg at the knee and flick it until it's no longer balled up, concertina-like, at the top of my shoe. I like my clothes to be maintenance-free throughout the day...

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you familiar with Bill's Khakis? I'm not sure if they are made with a plain front. I have these khakis in Britsh Tan and mushroom. I highly recommend them. I think that there is a Bill's Khakis website.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that Bill's Khakis makes great pants, I have a pair of their flat front M2s. However, NickM is looking for a slim fit, which Bill's are certainly not.

acole

Reaction score
Let me be obvious rather than obscure and suggest establishing a favorite search on eBay...lots of chaff to sort through, but eventually something worthwhile will turn up. Â If you develop an exclusive list of brand names, add "(Name1,Name2,...,NameN)" to the "basic search" field and check the "combine with Basic Search" box.

simeonstylites

Reaction score
If you really want fitted trousers with a bootcut or flared opening, you should try J. Lindeberg or Energie. They both make casual trousers with very flattering fits, perfect for clubbing etc. The fabrics are not high quality at all, but if fit is your main criterion these brands may be the way to go. I'm curious, are slightly flared pants seen as too ridiculous and seventies by others on the forum, or are they acceptable when made in something other than dacron? I really like the sweep and drape of full-legged or flared pants in wool. I think they are dramatic and slimming. But sometimes I also feel quite juvenile or like a large hoofed Central Asian show horse or a wooly mammoth when I wear them. Perhaps the answer is too avoid the megalomaniacal temptation to have too much flare.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads