• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual Suit

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I need help finding a Black Casual Styled suit. I want it to be pretty form fitting, 3 button, no or very little padding in the shoulders, Slim fitting flat front pants, Slight Pin stripe is ok but black is prefered, and I want to get it on a College Student's budget (It doesnt have to be the greatest quality, so long as it lasts me till im out of school or so). In my town the majority of shops only cary rather old-manish suits that are much too boxy and round (I wear a 38 sometimes long, and a 34 waist). Ill probably just end up wearing the jacket most of the time with some raw denim but the whole thing would be nice to have for occasions.
Thanks everyone

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you might be able to get a used Jil Sander on ebay.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want it to be really form-fitting, you might try the tailor-made route. Would you consider both cotton and wool?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am up for nearly anything, its got to be of moderate quality, I know the best would be pure Virgin wool, but I am willing to go any route. Like I said its just gonna be a cheap suit to last through College, It may get thrown up on/in so it probably shouldnt be too nice. More or less its gonna be a casual suit that will be worn to parties, special events, and occasionally to school if I am feeling like sticking out any more than I already do (dont follow the amjack trends that are college). I woulnt be the only one wearing a suit at school though. There is a Japanese student who looks like a Salary man every day at school.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
I am up for nearly anything, its got to be of moderate quality, I know the best would be pure Virgin wool, but I am willing to go any route. Like I said its just gonna be a cheap suit to last through College, It may get thrown up on/in so it probably shouldnt be too nice. More or less its gonna be a casual suit that will be worn to parties, special events, and occasionally to school if I am feeling like sticking out any more than I already do (dont follow the amjack trends that are college). I woulnt be the only one wearing a suit at school though. There is a Japanese student who looks like a Salary man every day at school.

The good thing about an elegant suit tailored to your body is that you don't look like a square when you wear it in contexts that don't require suits. If you have a modern, sliim, suit that really fits you, you can where it anywhere with confidence. What is your price range?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heh, See above. College student income. Cheap is good but if the right suit were to come my way I wouldnt mind shelling out a bit of money.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know a really good tailor, or can you find one? For about $250, you can go to a Joseph Banks (don't laugh, let me finish) and get the right size jacket and pants as separates. Just make sure the shoulders and waist fit. Then go to your tailor and have every part of that sucker taken in. The suit will run you about $260, the tailor maybe $120, and for less than $400, you have a suit that looks like it was made for you. Won't be great (or even very good) fabric, but it would seem to fit your bill quite well.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
What's happening with Thick as Thieves?
still in progress.....my one button peak lapel is good to go....but I've gotten interest and "pre-orders" of sorts for a high stance 3 button suit so I'm finishing the prototype for that and ideally should be good to go in about 2 more weeks. I need to finalize the 3 button model before setting up the website completely so my webguy can do everything thoroughly and completely at once. ratboy, my 3 button job sounds right up yer alley if you're not in a hurry. When I get my prototype finished I can show you some pics to see if it's what you're looking for. 3 Button, double vented, narrow lapels, light shoulder padding, very form fitting, flat front slimfit trousers with frog mouth pockets. *btw they're cut shorter in length so the jacket looks good with jeans or some other odd trouser....and I can customize any aspect of the fit to suit your body size/shape (jacket length, sleeve length etc)

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nifty. Keep us updated. Out of curiosity, any rough estimates on pricing?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds good cept the double vent. I dont really dig that, I prefer single or no vent (I realize that this is not what is "in" right now but I always like the look of a ventless jacket, nice clean and uninterupted)

Max

Reaction score
Thrift store plus tailor is you!

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking, I have a few real dandy thrift store finds (read: Absolutely Terrible but irresistable) But I cannot find anything lately. Most thrift stores have had only a couple blazers in the last few months. I guess the influx of old guys kicking the bucket has started to subside.
I was thinking of perhaps getting a suit from The Nordstrom Rack and having it tailored. Only problem is the majority of the stuff there is 2 button/boxy/Too damn big.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Nifty. Keep us updated. Out of curiosity, any rough estimates on pricing?

looks like the 'retail' will be $500...prolly offer $400 for SFers. I'm trying to keep the selling price as low as I can within reason so I'm not making shitloads off each piece but enough to keep it going.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads