• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual style with a brown pinstripe jacket

LWNagel

Reaction score
Preface: I know SF isn't huge on mixing orphaned jackets but I'm at a Big 10 school and things are a bit (read: extremely) loose here. Please don't tell me I'm naive - feel free to disagree with my plans, but I knew what I was getting into when I bought the item.

I got a really nice medium shade brown pinstripe orphaned jacket for a steal. I'm creative and decided that while I'd never wear it as a suit, it'd be fun to play with as part of a more casual style. It's getting cleaned now so no pictures but I'm curious what you all think about matching. It's fitted very, very well so my first thought was dark jeans, light shirt, dark shoes, but I'm always up for going even farther out of the box, with perhaps less dark shoes or light blue jeans and a dark t shirt.

Thanks for the input.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely use it in a more casual streetwear-esque manner as it just does not work in a classic menswear context (pinstriped orphans are probably the worst orphans to try to wear). Jeans and light to medium tan (make sure there is plenty of contrast between trouser and jacket) khaki trousers are probably your best options. Shoes could be mid-to-dark brown brogues / monks / loafers. I'd go with a white or light blue shirt. An OCBD is as formal as I would even think about going for the shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads