1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Casual Shoe AE or Brooks?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unrooted, Jun 24, 2012.

1. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The Brooks Brothers one is most likely the same shoe, made by AE, just rebranded. Other differences include the insert and possibly a rubber sole guard already installed on the shoe. If you like those options, get the Brooks Brothers version, as you will pay more to add those aftermarket to the AE shoe.

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

E. It's $15 cheaper and has free shipping. In other words, they are the exact same shoe with a few minor differences.

3. lostron

lostron Senior member

same shoes but order that shoe at a BB store and you will get free shipping oftentimes and it more comfortable than the AE version

4. unrooted

unrooted Senior member

Unfortunately the BB shoe is sold out in my size. But one thing that makes me question whether the BB is made by AE is from the stitching along the back of the shoe, this is visible in the BB website and at Zappos site for the AE Elgin. Notice that the vertical stitching stops part way on the BB and goes all the way up on the AE. This doesn't necesarily mean that the BB shoes aren't made by AE, but does point to there being a few differences. Doesn't matter now that the BB is sold out, but makes me wonder.

5. amemovox

amemovox Well-Known Member

If it is the same shoe, why would the BB variant be more comfortable than the AE ?

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The BB variant has a cushioned insole preinstalled. Often, the BB will also have sole guards as well. I'm not sure if that is true with this shoe.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Some find the addition of the poron insole more comfortable. Some hate it as it takes up more space and has been described as too squishy. YMMV.

8. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

Go with BB.

I have both. BB shoes are generally better for casual wear, as they are better cushioned plus they have a rubber pad on the otherwise leather sole. Extra $20 was well worth it for me. (I've had both shoes for about 8 months.)

9. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Poron Doesn't breathe.

10. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

How can it be the same shoe but one is more comfortable than the other?

Edit - just saw about the insole being different.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012