• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

casual shirts? ie Steven Alan, BoO, etc.?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in need of some more casual shirts (ie having shorter lengths/intended to be worn untucked). So far I have tried BoO and Steven Alan, both of which I thought looked like **** on me. I am 6'1" and the BoO look ridic. small on me, looked like I was wearing a childs shirt..imo, and I like my stuff fitted. Next Steven Alan just didnt have a flattering fit. the tails on the shirts I tried were waayyyy long and the shirts had those box pleats in the back...

In the past, before trying out BoO and Steve Alan, my go to casual shirts (shirts for going to a ball game or the bar) were B. Rep. Italy Woven Slim fit...prob. is in order for them to actaully fit okay through the chest I had to get a medium which equaled the shoulders and neck being waaayy to small.

any recommendations for other options?

Meekus

Reaction score
Why not buy shirts you feel comfortable in, and then bring them to a tailor so they are not as long. Seems like the best solution, and most likely cheaper than BoO.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just asked a question like this in the sticky. I would like to know this as well. How big are you weight wise? I also found Steven Alan isn't slim enough for me, it is like H&M in terms of fit with a 22"+ pit to pit measurement which I have noticed most "slim fit" shirts have.

Hope this helps but I found French Connection fits me very well. I measured their medium and it has a 21" p2p measurement. Shades of Greige is pretty slim too (I read chest measurements for the shirts off sites like context clothing) and Diesel shirts are slim fitting too. (read measurements off jj denim) i think Filippa K is too but I'm not sure. Let me know if you find something that works.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meekus
Why not buy shirts you feel comfortable in, and then bring them to a tailor so they are not as long. Seems like the best solution, and most likely cheaper than BoO.

Sucks I need to find a good tailor. I took my shirts to 3 different places (dry cleaners) reasonably close to my house that listed they did alterations and the seamster/seamstress didn't want to do it. He said it's too much work and I'd be better off buying something that fits. I was like what the hell, why do you even list you do alterations then.

I looked on here and the closest place to my house is 22 miles away. I don't really want to go that far but I may just have to if I don't find anything.

Meekus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timbaland
Sucks I need to find a good tailor. I took my shirts to 3 different places (dry cleaners) reasonably close to my house that listed they did alterations and the seamster/seamstress didn't want to do it. He said it's too much work and I'd be better off buying something that fits. I was like what the hell, why do you even list you do alterations then.

I looked on here and the closest place to my house is 22 miles away. I don't really want to go that far but I may just have to if I don't find anything.

Hmm, maybe consider doing it yourself. Practice on cheap shirts, its not that difficult as long as you go very slow, and have a steady hand.

I tried bringing a shirt to a dry cleaners once....it did not end well at all.

bsyde82

Reaction score
I've mentioned them several times in the past, and I will continue promoting the brand, but you should try to get your hands on a UNIS "felix" shirt. best fitting button up I've tried/owned, and I've tried BoO, SA, Hickey, Tim Hamilton among others. the only problem with Unis is that it's hard to find.

I should add that the steven alan hidden button shirt fits a lot better than their reverse seams. slimmer and shorter

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RRL Selvedge oxfords have a nice fit

racetrack

Reaction score
I'm 6'2 175lb and Club Monaco shirts are nice cheap alternative that fit well on me. I wear size S on most of their cuts.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm about 6'1", a little less than 150 lbs. I've found that RL Rugby buttondowns fit well in the collar/shoulders and are long enough, which is all that really matters, off the rack. I have to get the chest taken in, sleeves narrowed, back darted, but still, they don't look as comically short as BoO, and even with tailoring, they're cheaper.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meekus
Hmm, maybe consider doing it yourself. Practice on cheap shirts, its not that difficult as long as you go very slow, and have a steady hand.

I tried bringing a shirt to a dry cleaners once....it did not end well at all.

Good call, I have a bunch of old and cheap stuff that I can mess with. Well its better that the dry cleaners declined to do it instead of doing it and doing a crappy job.

Originally Posted by racetrack
I'm 6'2 175lb and Club Monaco shirts are nice cheap alternative that fit well on me. I wear size S on most of their cuts.

I never thought about trying on a small. I thought the sleeves would be too short. I have one of their shirts in medium and it's slimmer than J Crew but still not what I want. Thanks.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea, I am 6'1" 185 lbs. (but a very slim 185) I am just gonna go to a few different stores like Stels, NM, Saks, Barneys, et. and try on everything as far as casual shirts I have yet to try... there has to be something out there

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ben Sherman and Kent Wang OCBDs work best for me, though I'm looking forward to trying an MJK.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Defiantly try Michael J Krell, good prices awsome material. The ultimate would be to find Band of Outsiders Tall shirts.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
yea, I am 6'1" 185 lbs. (but a very slim 185) I am just gonna go to a few different stores like Stels, NM, Saks, Barneys, et. and try on everything as far as casual shirts I have yet to try... there has to be something out there

i'm the same size as you, i actually found that some of the Barney Label shirts can fit nice and Rag & Bone, Filippa K or Acne fits pretty decently as well. I am starting to love EG and finally realizing not everything has to be slim-fit...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics