• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual shirt fabrics

moltoelegante

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me with this problem. I have found 3 good local tailors whom I would like to start using to make casual and dress shirts. The dress shirts are easy - they all have access to all the Thomas Mason, Scabal, Albini fabrics, etc.

The problem is with the casual shirts. Almost every casual shirt appeals to me because of the interesting and beautiful fabric choice. I was in the local Lagerfeld store today, for example, and saw several shirts which I liked, but I don't even know where to begin to find such interesting casual fabrics. Does anyone have an idea? Is there any chance to buy these kinds of fabrics online in small quantities? (The local brick and mortar stores here are worthless). Or do the designers produce these fabric just for themselves? All I can think of at the moment is traveling to another country which has major fabric markets, and bring back a suitcase full of great fabrics which the tailors can make shirts from, but this idea is really impractical and $$$!

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fabric is available.
but not easy to find or acquire.
IN NYC paron and Mood clean out designer sample fabric rooms.
sometimes just sample yardage. sometimes more of styles that were either dropped or did not sell as well.

I buy fabric in NYC from a company that goes to a shirting mill in italy that turns out fantastic prints and jacquard shirting.

this is leftover fabric that was again, either overage, or sample lengths held by the mill.
I have purchased 2 year old fabrics that were made for.

Louis Vitton
Gucci
Alexander McQueen.. (large skulls)
Kenzo
Armani
numerous other smaller high end designer lines.

SOMETIMES THE FABRICS are even printed or the designer name is embroidered into the fabric.

god luck finding it in fabric stores.
you wont find this type of fabric on the internet.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy what YOU like NOT anyone else.

moltoelegante

Reaction score
Buy what YOU like NOT anyone else.

That's what I am trying to do. The only time I see fabrics I like is occasionally on a shirt in a store, not in mainstream fabric shops. I would love to find better materials which my tailor could use but this is really tricky.

moltoelegante

Reaction score
Am I really the only person interested in finding better fabrics for casual shirts?

I find the standard Thomas Mason range available at my local tailors suitable for business attire but too conservative for smart casual shirts.

As a random example, if I happened to love shirt like these, how would I go about getting a similar, high quality fabric?

Edit: I did hear about this place in Rome. Might be worth a flight over there sometime: https://selfishseamstress.wordpress...city-2473-again-and-a-mini-roman-fabric-tour/

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
most shirtmakers either work from the basic swatchbooks.

both Albini, (thomas Mason) Canclini and Grandi % rubenilli all carry a small assortments of prints.
or non traditional fabrics, but the choices are limited to safer designs.
remember they need to keep these in the books for at least 2 years.

you are better off in fabric stores in Italy.
Florence, Rome, naples.

you might get lucky in Como.
the silk makers, make prints as well.
A few of them do print on cotton.
good luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads