• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual pants, not jeans

halamadrid

Reaction score
Hey everybody, this is my first post so... yeah!

I came to this site because lately Ive been wondering about what kind of pants there are that aren't jeans and that aren't dressy khakis or slacks. I'm 17 yrs old and Ive worn jeans and khaki cargo shorts all of my life. I really Really want to find some cool pants that I can wear that have the khaki look, but are completely casual. Ones that I could even wear a t-shirt with and be alright. I really like dark browns and olive colors. Ive been looking around and I always just run into expensive dockers and ralph lauren polo stuff. I have slacks and stuff for dressing up but thats not what Im shooting for at all.

Does anyone know kind of what Im talking about? I appreciate any help finding something like this.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cords.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
5-pocket jean style pants made of other materials like khakis.
Seersucker
Linen

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what you should look for is a slimmer cut of khakis or cords.

STYLE_ADDICT

Reaction score
Look in streetwear & denim and you will find what you are looking for
smile.gif

halamadrid

Reaction score
Those chinos on J-crew are awesome! Thats what Im looking for but i need to find something much cheaper. I havent done much shopping online in the past... the best search results ive gotten are when I search "5-pocket khakis", and when I search chino I get beach trousers and such. hmm...

hotspur

Reaction score
i bought a pair of those jcrew officer chinos a few months back

and they are baggy

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend the new Wings+Horns chinos from their SS09 collection. They are much slimmer and nicer quality than the ones from J. Crew. (Albeit more expensive and harder to find).

I bought a pairs in both khaki and olive colors and use them as a dressier alternative to jeans. They work great with everything from a t-shirt to a button down. And they're slim enough that you definitely will not look like some dork whom just came from the office wearing his "business casual" Dockers.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you come from? I suspect cords would look wrong on a 17 year old unless you want to project a very old fashioned appearance for your age group.

michael-j

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Where do you come from? I suspect cords would look wrong on a 17 year old unless you want to project a very old fashioned appearance for your age group.

i presumed the cords response referred to narrow wale 5 pocket jeans-style cords - a pretty standard 'young' look here in the UK...

mr.loverman

Reaction score
5 pocket jean style cords are great. i just wouldn't wear them in warmer weather for comfort reasons.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Levi make some corduroys in exactly the same style as their jeans, a grey pair would provide an alternative to jeans without being too old and stuffy.
If you can get to a Uniqlo there might be something you like there, and the stuff is pretty damn cheap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads