• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual Loafers - Jack Erwin Edward?

neminat

Reaction score
I am looking for a casual loafer that i can wear with shorts, jeans, chinos etc. I have a hard time getting into the Alden price and was wondering what alternatives you would recommend? I want it to be a blake stitch or a very closely sewn GYW. The main reason for this is to reduce the chunk on the sole of the shoe. I also like the unlined concept, buti dont want it to be too floppy. When i look at the Meermin's they look so floppy and loose.

Any experience with this loafer from Jack Erwin? Would you recommend it? Any other brands I should consider either in or over this price range (capping out at 500 tops - i really dont think there is a chance id spend 500 to be honest).

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

*EDIT - looking for a penny loafer primarily. I am not the biggest fan of tassel or horse bit. I also want a penny without beefroll.

Last edited:

BPL Esq

Reaction score
What style of loafer aside from casual (penny, tassel, driver, horse bit, etc.)? Rancourt and Quoddy make nice casual penny loafers, mocs, etc., for under $300. Allen Edmonds makes loafers that are significantly less expensive than Alden. TLB Mallorca stuff looks nice and seems to get good reviews here, although I have none and can't personally vouch for it. A medium to dark brown penny loafer (suede or calf) is probably your best bet for a first pair if you plan to wear them with shorts, jeans, and/or chinos. I'd be inclined to go with a bit more rustic loafer like a Quoddy/Rancourt beefroll penny loafer in your case, as a too-dressy loafer would likely look incongruent with shorts and anything but the dressiest jeans and chinos.

If you're confident about sizing, you could probably snag some pre-owned Aldens in good condition on eBay for way less than retail price.

neminat

Reaction score
Great question and ill edit my original post. Looking for a penny most likely. I don't love tassel or horse bit.

I dont like the typical more chunky loafer as much. I have a pair of AE Sea Islands i am looking to replace as the beefroll on the sides is just a little less attractive to me.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Great question and ill edit my original post. Looking for a penny most likely. I don't love tassel or horse bit.

I dont like the typical more chunky loafer as much. I have a pair of AE Sea Islands i am looking to replace as the beefroll on the sides is just a little less attractive to me.

I see you don't want beefroll. Check out the Rancourt 'Pinch' Penny Loafer as well as the 'Eastport' and 'Weltline' (full strap) models.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say, I have 2 pairs of rancourt shoes with different soles and both wore considerably quicker than any other shoe in my collection, despite wearing them much less. Their price advantage goes away, IMO, when you have to resole much quicker.

In addition to AE, Carmina makes loafers as well - in between AE and Alden pricing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads