• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual jacket/sport coat

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

With the weather warming up, I'm looking for a casual jacket/sport coat. Mostly, I'm looking for something I could wear with a pair of good denim or corduroy pants.

In the past, I have worn a corduroy jacket (something along the lines of this one, only a little more casual and slimmer, and the shoulders weren't as stiff) and I have a pseudo casual tweed jacket that's light brown + gray.

I'm looking for recommendations on good materials, patterns and styles (and brands, of course) for casual wear -- something that I can wear with my girlfriend when we're out at dinner, but preferably also something that I could wear to a casual outing with a client or a colleague (the latter is nice, but negotiable). For the most part, I spend a lot of time in Chicago and New York, so I'd like something that can also keep me reasonably warm in these cities (from a utility perspective).

To provide you some context, I'm a mid-twenties guy, a little on the short side and I wear a 38s jacket. Budget? That's a good question, I'd say 500, but I'm willing to go double that if I find something that I really like.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I'd say 500, but I'm willing to go double that .
Well then, should we just say 1k........ or split the difference?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Well then, should we just say 1k........ or split the difference?

Hahaha. Well, I guess ideally I'd like to not spend more than 500, but if I really saw something that I liked and could potentially last long (and pay for itself), then I'm willing to pay more.

Sorry, should have been clearer.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No answers?
frown.gif

(And for the record, I did use the search function - unfortunately, couldn't find a whole lot.)

Cheers.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
I'll second the OP's question. Similar build, probably looking to spend closer to 200-300 instead.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Hello, everyone.

With the weather warming up, I'm looking for a casual jacket/sport coat.

I have a pseudo casual tweed jacket that's light brown + gray.

I spend a lot of time in Chicago and New York, so I'd like something that can also keep me reasonably warm in these cities (from a utility perspective).

You're asking a lot from a single garment. You began your thread by pointing out that the weather is warming up, so I thought you were asking for recommendations on a good summer-weight sport coat. But then you ended by saying that you want one that will keep you warm, too. Instead of paying a thousand bucks for a single coat that can't really perform both funtions, perhaps you should by two coats for $500 each -- one light and one heavy.

Here's another idea. Since you already own a pseudo casual tweed, which I presume is reasonably warm as sport coats go, then I suggest that you add to your wardrobe a light-weight blazer for summer wear. You can always put a sweater under it on cool evenings.

Fashion Savant

Reaction score
I agree you could get a spring summer type of blazer, maybe half lined if a wool fabric...

Chino blazers are pretty popular this year or better yet seersucker.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
You're asking a lot from a single garment. You began your thread by pointing out that the weather is warming up, so I thought you were asking for recommendations on a good summer-weight sport coat. But then you ended by saying that you want one that will keep you warm, too. Instead of paying a thousand bucks for a single coat that can't really perform both funtions, perhaps you should by two coats for $500 each -- one light and one heavy.

Here's another idea. Since you already own a pseudo casual tweed, which I presume is reasonably warm as sport coats go, then I suggest that you add to your wardrobe a light-weight blazer for summer wear. You can always put a sweater under it on cool evenings.

Well, here's the thing - yesterday was the first day of spring, and today, we're supposed to have 6-8 inches of snow.

Ideally, I'd like to say that I'd wear it only as a spring jacket, but sometimes, it does tend to get windy/cold, even on a splendid spring day.

I do like your suggestion about getting a light weight blazer -- any ideas on what's casual and looks good?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fashion Savant
I agree you could get a spring summer type of blazer, maybe half lined if a wool fabric...

Chino blazers are pretty popular this year or better yet seersucker.

Chino blazers - there's a thought. I'll probably have to check some out.

I could always combine those with a sweater, as the other poster suggested.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a few of the current men's magazines..

For the pictures not the articles.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're asking a lot from a single garment.
Yes. In addition, your line of work is an unknown variable. Probably it's best to avoid cotton or other materials that wrinkle easily. Perhaps a two-button wool/silk (70/30) jacket in camel or olive (it would help to know your personal coloring) with a subtle check or windowpane pattern (and, unlike the picture shown, no ticket pocket) would prove versatile. It's hard to recommend a specific line or model without seeing what you look like.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Yes. In addition, your line of work is an unknown variable.

I'm a consultant - so, I travel a lot, and interact with clients on a very regular basis (i.e. 5/7). I'm in management/strategy consulting, so a lot of the people that I interact with tend to be senior executives (maybe not C-level, but usually Directors/VPs and above). Hence the need for something that doesn't look cheesy/cheap.

Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Perhaps a two-button wool/silk (70/30) jacket in camel or olive (it would help to know your personal coloring) with a subtle check or windowpane pattern (and, unlike the picture shown, no ticket pocket) would prove versatile. It's hard to recommend a specific line or model without seeing what you look like.

Well, I rather like the combination that you suggested. I'm brown/tan-ish, and here's a picture.

Does that help?
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads