1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Casual jacket/sport coat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Metlin, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Metlin

Metlin Distinguished Member

Hello, everyone.

With the weather warming up, I'm looking for a casual jacket/sport coat. Mostly, I'm looking for something I could wear with a pair of good denim or corduroy pants.

In the past, I have worn a corduroy jacket (something along the lines of this one, only a little more casual and slimmer, and the shoulders weren't as stiff) and I have a pseudo casual tweed jacket that's light brown + gray.

I'm looking for recommendations on good materials, patterns and styles (and brands, of course) for casual wear -- something that I can wear with my girlfriend when we're out at dinner, but preferably also something that I could wear to a casual outing with a client or a colleague (the latter is nice, but negotiable). For the most part, I spend a lot of time in Chicago and New York, so I'd like something that can also keep me reasonably warm in these cities (from a utility perspective).

To provide you some context, I'm a mid-twenties guy, a little on the short side and I wear a 38s jacket. Budget? That's a good question, I'd say 500, but I'm willing to go double that if I find something that I really like.

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

I'd say 500, but I'm willing to go double that .
    Well then, should we just say 1k........ or split the difference?

3. Metlin

Well then, should we just say 1k........ or split the difference?

Hahaha. Well, I guess ideally I'd like to not spend more than 500, but if I really saw something that I liked and could potentially last long (and pay for itself), then I'm willing to pay more.

Sorry, should have been clearer.

4. Metlin

No answers? [​IMG]

(And for the record, I did use the search function - unfortunately, couldn't find a whole lot.)

Cheers.

5. fashion_newbie

fashion_newbie Senior Member

I'll second the OP's question. Similar build, probably looking to spend closer to 200-300 instead.

6. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Distinguished Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Hello, everyone.

With the weather warming up, I'm looking for a casual jacket/sport coat.

I have a pseudo casual tweed jacket that's light brown + gray.

I spend a lot of time in Chicago and New York, so I'd like something that can also keep me reasonably warm in these cities (from a utility perspective).

You're asking a lot from a single garment. You began your thread by pointing out that the weather is warming up, so I thought you were asking for recommendations on a good summer-weight sport coat. But then you ended by saying that you want one that will keep you warm, too. Instead of paying a thousand bucks for a single coat that can't really perform both funtions, perhaps you should by two coats for $500 each -- one light and one heavy.

Here's another idea. Since you already own a pseudo casual tweed, which I presume is reasonably warm as sport coats go, then I suggest that you add to your wardrobe a light-weight blazer for summer wear. You can always put a sweater under it on cool evenings.

7. Fashion Savant

Fashion Savant Well-Known Member

I agree you could get a spring summer type of blazer, maybe half lined if a wool fabric...

Chino blazers are pretty popular this year or better yet seersucker.

8. Metlin

You're asking a lot from a single garment. You began your thread by pointing out that the weather is warming up, so I thought you were asking for recommendations on a good summer-weight sport coat. But then you ended by saying that you want one that will keep you warm, too. Instead of paying a thousand bucks for a single coat that can't really perform both funtions, perhaps you should by two coats for $500 each -- one light and one heavy.

Here's another idea. Since you already own a pseudo casual tweed, which I presume is reasonably warm as sport coats go, then I suggest that you add to your wardrobe a light-weight blazer for summer wear. You can always put a sweater under it on cool evenings.

Well, here's the thing - yesterday was the first day of spring, and today, we're supposed to have 6-8 inches of snow.

Ideally, I'd like to say that I'd wear it only as a spring jacket, but sometimes, it does tend to get windy/cold, even on a splendid spring day.

I do like your suggestion about getting a light weight blazer -- any ideas on what's casual and looks good?

9. Metlin

I agree you could get a spring summer type of blazer, maybe half lined if a wool fabric...

Chino blazers are pretty popular this year or better yet seersucker.

Chino blazers - there's a thought. I'll probably have to check some out.

I could always combine those with a sweater, as the other poster suggested.

10. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Distinguished Member

Buy a few of the current men's magazines..

For the pictures not the articles.

11. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Distinguished Member

Yes. In addition, your line of work is an unknown variable. Probably it's best to avoid cotton or other materials that wrinkle easily. Perhaps a two-button wool/silk (70/30) jacket in camel or olive (it would help to know your personal coloring) with a subtle check or windowpane pattern (and, unlike the picture shown, no ticket pocket) would prove versatile. It's hard to recommend a specific line or model without seeing what you look like.

12. Metlin

Yes. In addition, your line of work is an unknown variable.

I'm a consultant - so, I travel a lot, and interact with clients on a very regular basis (i.e. 5/7). I'm in management/strategy consulting, so a lot of the people that I interact with tend to be senior executives (maybe not C-level, but usually Directors/VPs and above). Hence the need for something that doesn't look cheesy/cheap.

Perhaps a two-button wool/silk (70/30) jacket in camel or olive (it would help to know your personal coloring) with a subtle check or windowpane pattern (and, unlike the picture shown, no ticket pocket) would prove versatile. It's hard to recommend a specific line or model without seeing what you look like.

Well, I rather like the combination that you suggested. I'm brown/tan-ish, and here's a picture.

Does that help? [​IMG]