1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Casual Fridays? Nope, Tie Tuesdays

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sonick, Aug 11, 2006.

1. sonick

sonick Distinguished Member

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...home-headlines Discuss [​IMG] Even though the tech place I'm working in for my co-op is basically casual every day (I often get "why so dressed up?" when I merely throw on a blazer on top of my daily sneakers+jeans+tshirt uniform), when we had a person coming in for an interview (to replace me when I go back to school in september) wearing jeans, both my supervisor and I took notice.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

Yeah, I think many American businesspeople get culture shock when they work abroad. Either they experience cultures that dress more formally (most of Europe, Japan and a few other parts of Asia) or more casually (parts of Asia and South America) I actually had this discussion yesterday with my buddy who's an international consultant, he said that in his experience consulting for banks in (mostly Eastern) Europe and the ME, most people dress more formally than in US banks.

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...home-headlines

Discuss [​IMG]

Even though the tech place I'm working in for my co-op is basically casual every day (I often get "why so dressed up?" when I merely throw on a blazer on top of my daily sneakers+jeans+tshirt uniform), when we had a person coming in for an interview (to replace me when I go back to school in september) wearing jeans, both my supervisor and I took notice.

In my previous position where I was managing a software company, I was interviewing for a marketing manager position (which was ~MBA level) and I had someone show up with black cargo pants and a white shirt sans tie. I sent him home with a tip to dress the part for interviews. Our office was business casual as a general rule, but cmon.

So much for making a first impression.

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

That's what was so odd with last weeks NYT article about shorts. It's a small number of offices where shorts are banned. Seems the article should have tried to find offices that were going to more formal attire.