• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual buttondown shirt: tucked or untucked?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, i got this casual buttondown long-sleeve shirt from GAP, and i was wondering if it should be worn buttoned or unbuttoned with jeans... Also, is it just me, or does the outfit look less 'messy' when i roll up my sleeves? Anyways, here's some pics of the outfit and the shirt: Untucked, rolled sleeves Tucked In Untucked Thanks...

F4iryder14

Reaction score
I wear most of my shirts untucked mainly because I am lazy and it is more comfortable.  I also think tucked in looks more formal and is better if you are going to work or out to eat as opposed to going to a bar/club.  As for rolling the sleeves up, I don't think it looks bad and can add kind of a nice casual look, just don't roll the shirt up all the way to your biceps.  I think 2-3 rolls to about mid-forearm level looks the best.  Also, if you do leave the sleeves all the way down, I would definitely button them. Doing otherwise looks sloppy to me. Just my $.02.

Kevin

davei

Reaction score
Light striped shirts should always be worn untucked with light rinsed jeans, tucked in with dark jeans, with the sleeves rolled up until the elbow is just visible, usually 2.5 turns of the cuff.
smile.gif
smile.gif
j/k. Seriously, don't be too fussy about it, IMHO with jeans it's personal preference. Most people don't/can't wear jeans to work anyway. Try it untucked/tucked a few times and see what you like.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks best untucked. However, don't roll up the sleeves that high; as you had them in the last picture is cool too. With this type of shirt, you'll look too fussy and neat if you keep it tucked in, or have the sleeves buttoned. Another tip would be to leave the top two buttons undone, a thing I always do.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like I'm meaning to rain on your parade or anything, but I think that shirt might be a size or two too large for you. I can't really tell due to the absence of relative objects in the room, but you look like a slender guy. Maybe you could go to the store and try a small, if it isn't already a small, or an x-small if it is.

I know the Gap doesn't exactly cut their clothes on the slim side, but it looks like it could even be a bit snugger around the shoulders.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, you think its a bit big??? Its already a small.. ill go to gap tomorrow, see how a X-Small fits... Thanks, i wore it untucked today with sleeves rolled just below my elbow, lookin good
smile.gif

Mitch D

Reaction score
One thing that hasn't been mentioned,is that some casual shirts are designed to be worn either tucked in or worn out; that is,the bottom of the shirt is squared off,all the same length,so that it doesn't look sloppy if worn untucked. If worn untucked,and the back of the shirt is longer than the front,you'll end up looking slovenly,rather than sharp.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want my two cents you should wear the shirt untucked and either leave the sleeves unrolled and unbuttoned or roll the sleeves back once.

mbc

Reaction score
that's actually a casual look i do a lot, and i would roll the sleeves up maybe 2/3 up the forearm (not above the elbow), leave the shirt untucked, and open up the second button if you've been doing bench presses.. heh.

to me, rolling the sleeves up above the elbow seems hyper-trendy, and that's just a pet peeve of mine, hence the preference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads