1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Casual Button Downs That Aren't J.Crew

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by wesny, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wesny

wesny Active Member

I'm looking for casual button downs (i.e. button down collars). I love the look and feel of J. Crew shirts but they really don't fit me well. What can you recommend that is relatively cheap (not too cheap but sub $100), slim fit, and isn't as formal as say PRL custom fit (the tails are just too long to be worn day to day untucked). Any brand advice would be great.

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Just out of your price range, but prob worth it- ToJ

I have wasted more $$$$ on oxfords than I would have had I just bought from them... they know their shit, cant go wrong.

3. PolePosition

PolePosition Senior member

Save a little more and get Epaulet or Wolf vs Goat buttondowns. They are $130-140 but seriously worth the extra money for the fit and fabrics. The mall brands simply aren't worth the money, even if they are a little cheaper due to relatively poor construction, fit, and material.

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

5. Cool The Kid

Uniqlo+tailor
    Still not worth it, esp if the tailor reconstructs the side seams w/a double stitch ($$$$$$) You'd be like 3/4 there $$$wise, and there's no guarantee the tailor would do a great job Also the jump in size from M to L is huge. I'm also going to say don't bother checking out BB "Extra Slim" fit stuff, the shit is still tenty.

6. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Club Monaco is probably the easiest route if you were considering Jcrew b/c it's a mall brand, but better in every way.

Neither compares to the likes of...

Gitman
    Epaulet
    Wolf vs Goat

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

try Naked and Famous and Club Monaco (show a student card get 20% off)

8. warrenjl1

warrenjl1 Senior member

My two picks would be Gitman over in the B&S forums (most can be had for sub-$100) or the Jack Robie stuff, which is just a hair above $100.

9. mattt

mattt Senior member

Second hand band of outsiders would be in your price range. Sure the quality isn't indestructible, but its hard to beat the fit if you're very slim and find other shirts to often be too long and tenty. Just something else to consider.

10. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Brooks Brothers extra slim fit oxfords fit me well. $80 but can be had for less with the sale going on.

11. Cool The Kid

Brooks Brothers extra slim fit oxfords fit me well. $80 but can be had for less with the sale going on.
    FWIW I got the sport shirts, which just have catch all sizes. Maybe the dress shirts w/the neck + sleeve sizes are better.

12. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Gant Rugger is perfect for casual bds.

13. loreley

loreley Senior member

BB extra slim (on sale) + darts / shorten = good balance for me...

14. loreley

loreley Senior member

FWIW I got the sport shirts, which just have catch all sizes. Maybe the dress shirts w/the neck + sleeve sizes are better.

bingo

15. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

16. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

2nd the WvG. Worth it to up your budget a tad bit and get shirts like Epaulet or WvG. Great material, construction, and fit.

17. afc345

afc345 Senior member

I've found Filippa K buttondowns to be surprisingly good. Not that expensive either-

18. mmmmpay

mmmmpay Senior member

I'm in the same boat. The issue with cost, though, is that I'd never spend full price for a J. Crew buttondown. On clearance + sale I get nearly all of my shirts therefor under 30$. I am not going to spend 100$ on a shirt. I rarely spend 40$.

Does Club Monaco have an online store? None near me.

Are there any department store brands worth checking out? 95% of what I see at Nordstrom is hideous. But is there some good quality/value in there somewhere?

19. ramp

ramp Senior member

Second hand RRL can usually be found under $100. Fits great OTR for me.

20. blynch

blynch Senior member

i've bought a bunch of different brands trying to be cheap on button downs, all the cheap ones just sit in the closet, never been satisfied for anything I payed less than $90 for.

Best shot in the cheap price range is brook brothers extra slim fit, the sport shirts can be had on sale and I've got plaids for $35-40 that are passable, but I don't really care for the cut/fabric(slimmer than jcrew at least). Still advise springing for wvg (use forum code for 20% off), gitman, toj, etc.

Currently replacing all my junk shirts with wvg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.