• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual Blazer fit

123apple

Reaction score
I bought a white gilded age cotton blazer recently, and I think that it is too tight. I was wondering what the general fit guidelines are for casual blazers. The blazer is size medium. The following are the best pictures I can take. The arm holes are quite high, but don't really restrict my arm movement. When I fasten the first button, it looks awkward because my chest is too big (44") Please critique the fit. Thanks.

izlat

Reaction score
Well, there aren't any photos but as AF says chest fit is critical and one of the first things you should check with either a blazer or a more formal coat... So if you say your chest is too big it seems that indeed the fit is not proper. I think the check for a proper fit is to button correctly and sit down, see how it feels / fits.

Size 44 is not a Medium, imo (M is abot 40 i guess) - so you should have gotten an L most likely

Cheers

123apple

Reaction score
Thanks. I posted the pictures. I had to compress them.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 123apple
I bought a white cotton blazer recently, and I think that it is too tight. I was wondering what the general fit guidelines are for casual blazers.

Within any general fit guidelines there is room for personal tastes. I like my shoulders to fit neatly, but the suit jacket/sports coat is too big for me if the button holes aren't just a little stretched at the waist when buttoned.
smile.gif

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus, take those photos out of your first post. They're too big. If you want, edit these into the original post, and please pick up the fine skill of resizing!

DSCN0257_800x600.jpg

DSCN0258_800x600.jpg

DSCN0259_800x600.jpg

The blazer looks fine. Good fit at the waist, everything is blurry but appears fine. I can't stand the buttons/studs in the center, though.

123apple

Reaction score
thanks guys. i'm a newbie here, hence the picture problems.

Lostinthesupermarket

Reaction score
Post a pic with the first button done up so we can see how it looks....it looks fine to me in the pics you've posted.

For me the shoulders and chest are the determinants of whether a jacket is the "right size" or not( given that the sleeves are long enough). After that "fit" is a question of personal taste.

There are some things ( e. g. waist supression) that a tailor can sort out after you buy it, but if the shoulders and chest are not right from the start you are pretty much screwed IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads