• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

casual bag question

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Due to work and other considerations, I tend to carry a fair amount of stuff - cell phone, blackberry, note-book, i-pod, book for reading, etc., etc. During the work day I often use a brief/attache case and distribute stuff through the pockets. On weekends and casual work days (think no sports coat or blazer), I am without as many pockets and would prefer a less formal looking case.

Accordingly, I need help here guys. I am looking for the equivalent of a men's purse, without it being a purse. It should be casual for weekend use and not a backpack.

Thanks in advance.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe the only sensible option is the messenger bag slung across the body. There are men's bags that hang off the same shoulder (like a purse), but those are bad for your posture, not very secure and too much like a purse.

Last night, I heard some ridiculous nonsense that the fanny-pack was coming back in California. Something about roller-skater chicks.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Patagonia "Valise" in black.

If you want even less casual, their Messenger Bag.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only option: Prada fanny pack. Someone around here was checking out these Rawlings bags awhile back, I wonder how they are. I have a waxed canvas messenger bag, but it's a little rugged. Patagonia makes excellent functional packs, but usability also depends on your style. Kent has a point, when you say purse, I assume you mean you need a shoulder strap, that pretty much translates to messenger bag.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Valise seems quite nerdy. I hate that huge shoulder strap. It's like you're wearing a bandoleer across your chest.

Those Rawlings bags are really beautiful, especially the tan one with the cream strap. I'd buy it if I could justify another messenger bag. I currently have a black and white Puma one that I found for $14 at Urban Outfitters. Cheap and thin material, but very casual.

ViroBono

Reaction score
I have this, one of my several Billingham bags:
Largehad.gif
It's about 15 inches x 12 x 5 inches. There's a shoulder strap which is tucked under the flap in the pic. It's big enough to take my PowerBook and all the bits that go with it. It has a removeable padded liner (it was originally for cameras). Top quality, and improves with age. I'm a big fan of Billingham - I like the traditional materials and good workmanship.

ord

Reaction score
I've had the Metropolitan from Trager since the late 90s. Â Even after years of rugged use it still looks pretty good. Â The only problem I ever had was that the plastic buckle broke once, but Trager replaced it for free when I contacted them. I also considered Waterfield who make some really nice messenger bags that are very durable. Â Their buckles are even made of metal, so they won't break. Â The main reason I didn't get one of them is because their models are relatively heavy and since I walk a lot, weight was an important consideration.

arvi

Reaction score
I believe the only sensible option is the messenger bag slung across the body. There are men's bags that hang off the same shoulder (like a purse), but those are bad for your posture, not very secure and too much like a purse.

Last night, I heard some ridiculous nonsense that the fanny-pack was coming back in California. Something about roller-skater chicks.
i totally agree...i have a black nylon prada that looks great stuffed or almost empty...costly but wears like iron..
a thin fanny pack may be ok when you go out for a run, but i wouldn't be caught dead walking around town with one

sashae

Reaction score
I've got a Ghurka canvas/leather Messenger I'm very happy with... highly recommended.

s

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads