1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cast iron skillet

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by eztantz, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Likewise! I have to see what brand they are.My gf got hers at a thrift store, which isn't a route for the OP.

I'm not so sure how much I like this pre-seasoned business. Probably fine.

~ H

2. eztantz

eztantz Senior member

Even if not for these religious requirements I couldn't picture myself buying a pre-owned utensil from some random person I dont know that has been used but never really "cleaned". Just seems a bit gross. Pre-seasoned by the manufacturer is an entirely different picture.

PS. My Lodge skillet is on its way!

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

If you have religious requirements, cast iron skillets are probably not for you. They're the raw denim of cookware.

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

wow good analogy

5. eztantz

eztantz Senior member

I think you misunderstood my post or only read my most recent one. Cast iron is not the issue, its foodstuffs that may have previously been cooked in them that present an issue for me (see my previous post about kosher). If you still don't understand I'd be glad to fill you in.

Regards.

6. otc

otc Senior member

You know...you can clean cast iron.

you can even use soap (especially modern dish detergents which are pretty kind to the finish)

even if you really do destroy the seasoning--which will not happen with occasional mild detergent use...but probably would happen in your dishwasher--its not that hard to get it back. Grandma's pan is not great because it has 80 years of mystical seasoning built up; it is great because they made them really well back then and 80 years worth of cooking with metal utensils has smoothed out all of the little bumps and ridges and left you with a super smooth surface that holds a season well.

You could scrub grandma's pan with a pile of soap and a stiff bristle brush (just avoid abrasives) for hours and after a good seasoning and a few uses (especially with bacon) it would be back to where it was.

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

How do you clean a cast iron skillet? You're not supposed to wash them, right?

9. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

hot water and a scouring pad

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i thought that the old soaps were bad for them, but the modern day ones are gentle enough to use.

11. CouttsClient

You shouldn't need soap to clean your cast iron

12. eztantz

eztantz Senior member

Used my Lodge skillet tonight - great buy!

It wasn't as rare as it looks (although I do eat extremely rare/black and blue from time to time).

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. CouttsClient

I'm disturbed by this picture.

Is that Styrofoam?

14. eztantz

eztantz Senior member

Plastic not foam...

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Quote:
    Same difference. Plastic is the material, foam is the structure. Like egg white and meringue.

16. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Those pictures are sickening.

17. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Flea markets are where you need to go to get an old well-seasoned Lodge with a smooth interior surface. That being said, I have a newer one that performs the exact same way as the older ones. It has smoothed out over the years because of the carbon build-up, but it's still relatively rough, but I don't notice a difference when I cook either steaks, chicken, or cornbread in it.

18. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Sometimes you need to reseason or just clean them - you can actually just use oven cleaner for that.

And pre-seasoning sucks - think of all that bacon you could be eating as you season the pan yourself. It is a tragedy to deny yourself that.

19. eztantz

eztantz Senior member

Utensil or the meat?

20. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I use kosher salt. Which doesn't do anything about the kosher issue, however a blow torch would.