Cask strength single malt

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by TimelessRider, Feb 6, 2005.

1. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

As a follow up to a previous single-malt/scotch thread, what is the impression of the board's whisky experts on cask strength single malts? I tried some Aberlour A'bunadh last night and I think I burnt a hole in my gullet. Anyone enjoy this stuff?

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I am not sure that it is meant to be drunk straight. my understanding was that it was meantto be diluted with water immidiatly prior to drinking, by the drinker.

3. TimelessRider

Wish I knew that yesterday. [​IMG] I'm not used to cutting 'finer' spririts with anything. I'll try this next time.

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, but after the burning sensation stopped, what did you think? [​IMG] I've shied away from the cask-strength offerings that I see out there, mostly because I fail to see how the distillery's failure to dilute the whisky down to a drinkable strength justifies the increased price. Maybe I'm just being ignorant, but there it is.

5. TimelessRider

I felt it was a waste too at app $60/bottle. i think you need a hardened palate to appreciate it.