• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere vs wool jumpers on durability

GodAtum

Reaction score
My cashmere jumpers keep wearing out after a few months. They get torn in the elbows especially. Maybe wool is more durable?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merino wool is pretty durable but depending on what you’re doing and how you’re treating your clothing, that can wear too.

Cheap cashmere will wear out quickly. Quality cashmere, though not immune to abuse, will wear quite well. I have a 50 year old Scottish cashmere sweater from Pringle which still looks brand new and gets worn somewhat regularly.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How are you caring for the cashmere sweaters?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's true that cheap cashmere, which is made from shorter hairs, is less durable. Beyond that there are variables such as gauge (the weight of the finished fabric, higher number is lighter weight) and ply which describes the yarn thickness (the number of threads in the yarn). Cashmere is always going to be lighter in weight than a chunky wool sweater--that's what makes it so comfortable and dressy--so even the highest quality cashmere will not last as long as a thick wool sweater, just as a shirt won't last like a suit.

That said, a lot depends on how you wear it. If you usually wear a cashmere pullover under a tailored jacket, it will last longer. But if you wear it as an outer layer, the elbows will naturally wear out faster--even if your mother taught you not to put your elbows on the dinner table.

Leiker

Reaction score
My cashmere jumpers keep wearing out after a few months. They get torn in the elbows especially. Maybe wool is more durable?
Do you sit in a chair with your elbows resting on the arms a lot? I find myself doing this at work and it definitely wears on the elbows of my garments.

GodAtum

Reaction score
Yes I wear them at work with my elbows resting on the chair a lot. They are Charles Tyrwhitt 100% cashmere v-necks.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My solution is to buy Merino sweaters from Uniqlo and throw them away after a couple of years (they are actually pretty good although I haven't tried a Cashmere version yet)

I've tried a few brands in the past (John Smedley/Paul Smith and Ralph Lauren) and it's not really worth it to me, it's just another anonymous sweater that I treat as a consumable (they all develop holes or lose their shape or shrink eventually)

If it fits well and the colour is good nobody will know if it cost $40 or $400!!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My solution is to buy Merino sweaters from Uniqlo and throw them away after a couple of years (they are actually pretty good although I haven't tried a Cashmere version yet)

I've tried a few brands in the past (John Smedley/Paul Smith and Ralph Lauren) and it's not really worth it to me, it's just another anonymous sweater that I treat as a consumable (they all develop holes or lose their shape or shrink eventually)

If it fits well and the colour is good nobody will know if it cost $40 or $400!!

I wear Uniqlo merino sweaters to work. I like them because they are both cheap and offer a relatively good value and like you said, After a few seasons, I toss them and restock.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Uniqlo merino sweaters to work. I like them because they are both cheap and offer a relatively good value and like you said, After a few seasons, I toss them and restock.

Solid choice for everyday essentials, I just added a couple of the merino roll necks to my winter wardrobe.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worth mentioning that the NYT Wirecutter section recently rated a lot of reasonably priced cashmere sweaters, including some brands that are relatively transparent about sourcing. (There are serious environmental issues in Mongolia with large herds of cashmere goats.) Derek Guy is quoted as an expert, rightly so. Wirecutter is behind a paywall but non-subscribers get a few free trial reads.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
often enough a blended yarn yields the best of all worlds , single source fiber makes for great marketing tho .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads