1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

cashmere vs. merino wool

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thinman, Apr 11, 2006.

1. thinman

thinman Senior member

I now use Forever New, available at Nordstrom in the lingerie department.

Is this available anywhere other than Nordies?

2. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Why would you use Forever New over Nancy Boy?

For that matter, why would you use either over Woolite or Woolite Dark?

3. j

j Senior member Admin

Why would you use Forever New over Nancy Boy? For that matter, why would you use either over Woolite or Woolite Dark?
    I don't know what Nancy Boy is.

Woolite has been claimed (by lots of people, run a Google search) to damage wool and cashmere by stripping too much of the oils out of the fibers. We like the natural oils. So we recommend something gentler.

4. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I've heard those claims. A lot of other fairly credible people claim that's bullshit, and I've really never seen anything definitive. Doesn't help that a lot of sites I've seen claiming that Woolite is destructive can't even tell the difference between a soap and a detergent. I'm not saying they're definitely wrong, but it doesn't really seize credibility. Nancy Boy makes a generally highly regarded detergent that is much, much cheaper than Forever New. Still expensive compared to Woolite, though.

5. joseanes

joseanes Senior member

I prefer merino wool sweaters. The only cashmere sweater I have... well I use it on long plane trips to feel warm, but that is about it.

However, I have been considering a cashmere (or high cashmere content) navy blazer for next winter.

6. j

j Senior member Admin

I've heard those claims. A lot of other fairly credible people claim that's bullshit, and I've really never seen anything definitive. Doesn't help that a lot of sites I've seen claiming that Woolite is destructive can't even tell the difference between a soap and a detergent. I'm not saying they're definitely wrong, but it doesn't really seize credibility. Nancy Boy makes a generally highly regarded detergent that is much, much cheaper than Forever New. Still expensive compared to Woolite, though.
    I don't know either way, but I do know that I have never heard anything bad about Forever New. I have also read that FN rinses out much more easily than Woolite. Who knows. By the time I would have stripped the oils out of a sweater using Woolite, I probably would have destroyed it in some other way anyway. But I still don't recommend it based on all the claims I've read.

BTW Forever new appears to be available relatively cheaply online.

7. Senai

Senai Member

8. Lloyd

Lloyd Member

I've seen merino used for cycling jerseys, so it must be pretty tough!

[​IMG]

9. j

j Senior member Admin

I've seen merino used for cycling jerseys, so it must be pretty tough!

[​IMG]

Yeah, they use it in a (relatively new, I think) line of athletic socks and underwear called SmartWool. It seems to be quite durable and maintains a comfortable temperature. I like my SmartWool socks a lot.

10. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Wool is surprisingly excellent for activewear, as well as everyday socks and in very thin/fine knitwear, better than many cotton pieces for warm weather.

11. j

j Senior member Admin

Wool is surprisingly excellent for activewear, as well as everyday socks and in very thin/fine knitwear, better than many cotton pieces for warm weather.
    I agree - I'd much rather wear thin merino socks in hot weather than cotton or anything else for that matter. Cotton retains moisture and quickly becomes at least clammy if not sticky and starts to rub and give me irritation around the edges. Once it's damp it is cold, and by that time it's getting into night, so I typically have to change socks during the day if I wear a pair of cotton socks from the morning. I don't see why they are so popular, except for the cheapness and I guess durability.

12. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Cheapness, durability, and comfort. They don't stand up to heavy use, but comparably comfortable socks cost a lot more in wool, and cotton/poly blends hold up much better over time.

Of course, I wouldn't prefer them for heavy, active use either. Cotton is basically useless for that in every respect.

13. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

With regards to Woolite, I have heard stories about the detergent damaging the elasticity of a garment.

I definetely agree with the above comments about wool over cotton, especially for socks. I still have a few cotton Pantherella's in the sock drawer, but I am slowly phasing them out, and will soon wear wool exclusively. My wool socks wear far longer and better than my cotton ones.

14. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Cashmere for the most part comes from Chinese Inner Mongolian sheep and imported by Scottish or Italian mills to be woven. OK?

15. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Hygiene. Cotton is washable at higher temperature. However, 100% cotton socks easily gets holes. So better with 10 to 30% synthetic.