• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere - The Sceptical Shopper

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of polluting this thread with a petty practical question, is the best approach for low/mid-range cashmere (like from Martin + Osa) to wash in delicate cycle/cold water right away to prevent future pilling and/or shedding? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned it, and it wasn't something I was aware of as a preventative measure.

I understand that for many the answer is "don't buy it" or "wear and discard," but some people want the cheap cashmere.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer merino wool . Cashmere is too spongy and unpleasant, who knows how much biological debris are getting stuck in that cashmere sponge.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
At the risk of polluting this thread with a petty practical question, is the best approach for low/mid-range cashmere (like from Martin + Osa) to wash in delicate cycle/cold water right away to prevent future pilling and/or shedding? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned it, and it wasn't something I was aware of as a preventative measure.

I understand that for many the answer is "don't buy it" or "wear and discard," but some people want the cheap cashmere.

In rare cases, when cashmere yarn contains a very small percentage of too-short fibers, washing can rinse out these fibers and reduce a shedding problem.

But in virtually all cases with cheap cashmere, short fibers make up a significant percentage of the yarn, and washing will only make a shedding problem worse not better.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not like water is an unknown element. You start with plain H2O and you start adding stuff. You can adjust water .

In the old days before modern chemistry this wasn't the case. So London ended up with Porter. Dublin saw Guniness change that to Stout. Other parts of the UK ended up with Bitter. You see the same thing in Germany . Whisky really isn't any different. Different local waters in different areas.

I see no reason why a modern plant can't be built that adjusts the local mains water to be anything you need. Think about it. How complicated are chemical processeses in other areas? If they couldn't adjust things like water or other basic inputs then you'd never be able to build a plant any place else in the world.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
In rare cases, when cashmere yarn contains a very small percentage of too-short fibers, washing can rinse out these fibers and reduce a shedding problem.

But in virtually all cases with cheap cashmere, short fibers make up a significant percentage of the yarn, and washing will only make a shedding problem worse not better.

Thanks for the opinion. I'll stick with tradition (which for me is rarely washing sweaters, and not when I first get them).

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
It's not like water is an unknown element. You start with plain H2O and you start adding stuff. You can adjust water .

In the old days before modern chemistry this wasn't the case. So London ended up with Porter. Dublin saw Guniness change that to Stout. Other parts of the UK ended up with Bitter. You see the same thing in Germany . Whisky really isn't any different. Different local waters in different areas.

I see no reason why a modern plant can't be built that adjusts the local mains water to be anything you need. Think about it. How complicated are chemical processeses in other areas? If they couldn't adjust things like water or other basic inputs then you'd never be able to build a plant any place else in the world.

Everything can be adjusted and done just so, but the call to do it is just not there. Brands can get away with cutting corners and keeping costs down. We are seeing that even the most prestigious brands might do so in order to keep margins low or because the knowhow just isn't there anymore. There is no Consumer Reports for high-end clothing and no one to hold makers to their word when they resort to puffery. As long as brands can resort to a one-dimensional arms race about the fineness of fibers or what have you there are no consumers educated enough or obsessive enough to see that the details, finishing and construction that one could take for granted in the past are there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics