• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere sweater sizing

teenbrunellolover

Reaction score
Hi, in the recent months I have acquired a Brunello Cucinelli mauve/lavender sweater I got on sale for $600 from a $1050 and even though I am only 16, I am now officially hooked on good quality cashmere. It is my only piece so far and I want to stay away from brands of lesser quality. I did however stumble across a website with discounted designers and it was heaven on Earth. My question(s) are this. I found a Ralph Lauren Purple Label cardigan I want, and its a large. How does Purple Label fit, as I don't want something that really is a slim medium in regular RL. I will probably still get it regardless, but am curious as to how the PL fits. My other question is that I found an Avon Celli Millionaire sweater I want and its an XL. My brunello is a 52 if Im not mistaken and is maybe a little big, although I am still growing. I have heard about the quality of AC's millionaire sweaters and want to join that club. Its an navy blue V neck and was wondering if it will be too big. I may still buy it regardless because I am only 16 and also want a lighter cashmere sweater. Thanks

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop buying $600 sweaters. You're 16.

teenbrunellolover

Reaction score
My dad got it for me as a going away present for a month. I would actually appreciate some genuine answers to my questions. Some kids spend their money on electronics, or other stuff. Plus, isn't better to spend a lot of money on a garment that will last a long time, rather than go out and spend $180 on an Abercrombie and Fitch sweater that is crappy quality and be done in a season.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a 52 is a little big, an XL will be way too big. To thank me for actually answering your question, send me the Cucinelli when you outgrow it or it gets a dust on it.
bounce2.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teenbrunellolover
Plus, isn't better to spend a lot of money on a garment that will last a long time, rather than go out and spend $180 on an Abercrombie and Fitch sweater that is crappy quality and be done in a season.

Except you're still growing.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drumohr are supposed to be decent and they're about $140 shipped each from virtualclotheshorse.com with codes forum (10% off) and noship (free shipping).

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second (or I guess it is about fifth or sixth) Trini, in that you are going to grow a LOT in the next 3-4 years. Between the time I was 17 and 19, I grew from a 38R to a 42R and my waist stayed the same size. You are going to be much broader.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teenbrunellolover
My dad got it for me as a going away present for a month. I would actually appreciate some genuine answers to my questions. Some kids spend their money on electronics, or other stuff. Plus, isn't better to spend a lot of money on a garment that will last a long time, rather than go out and spend $180 on an Abercrombie and Fitch sweater that is crappy quality and be done in a season.

PL fits small. There is your answer. That said, I cannot conscionably recommend high-end cashmere sweater choices to a 16 year old. I would suggest you repress your desire for such high-end garments until you are well into your first high-paying job, when you can actually afford them. Like I and probably 99% of the guys on this site did. Also, you make be focusing too much on clothes for your age. Make sure your priorities are in order.

teenbrunellolover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
The real question here is, do 16 year old chicks dig Brunello? If they do, continue to buy them. You should be worried about getting laid.
That made me laugh. I needed that and although they may not dig them let alone even know anything about cashmere garments, they might tend to dig them if they knew how much they cost, lol (not that I would want to be dating someone because of the money they think I have)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics