• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they require a minimum. I bought six custom sweaters from them once, but I don't know what's the minimum. The order for six went through.

FWIW, if you're in the US, be aware there's a hefty customs fee for cashmere goods. I think I paid something like 50% in duties on my bill. Wasn't expecting that.

Much appreciated. That being the case, I may try my luck with O'Connell's women's sizing. I'll report back on quality of O'C cashmere if/when I pick one up.

Junglejack

Reaction score
oconnells-12-ply-cashmer-30181p.jpg

Much appreciated. That being the case, I may try my luck with O'Connell's women's sizing. I'll report back on quality of O'C cashmere if/when I pick one up.

That 12 ply looks the business, but it is a beast. Hopefully, there is a turtleneck there that will work for you.
Have you ever called the store to inquire about whom is making their cashmere offerings?

Junglejack

Reaction score
Does anyone made experience with Lanficio Colombo's own product line?

I'm looking for a decent cashmere v neck which is not too heavy so that it can be worn in spring/summer.
This 1ply one from Colombo looks nice too me but would be my first buy from them: https://www.lanificiocolombo.com/de...tural-beige-pure-cashmere-v-neck-sweater.html

A few of us Stateside have added Fioroni cashmere sweaters and they are amazing. Fioroni makes a Duvet cashmere that is super soft and rinsed in iron rich waters at their facilities.
Got to Barneys and Warehouse and peruse their wares as both of them have quite a few.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oconnells-12-ply-cashmer-30181p.jpg

That 12 ply looks the business, but it is a beast. Hopefully, there is a turtleneck there that will work for you.
Have you ever called the store to inquire about whom is making their cashmere offerings?

Sure does. I've thought about it but I feel it's a little gauche to do so before actually purchasing and deciding to keep one (obviously there is retail markup etc. but I'm happy to support O'Connell's). I'll post here when I do ask though.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Separately, I've recently come into possession of a handful of Ballantyne for Berk cashmere roll necks. These seem like "the good stuff" in the sense that the cashmere is slightly coarse and thus I'm guessing not overmilled. The cuffs and collar are in amazing shape with a great snap to them despite being second hand, and there's basically no pilling. Appears to be single ply. They ran me ~$30 a pop.

Is this indeed "the good stuff" or was Ballantyne quality for Berk retailers slightly lesser?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Separately, I've recently come into possession of a handful of Ballantyne for Berk cashmere roll necks. These seem like "the good stuff" in the sense that the cashmere is slightly coarse and thus I'm guessing not overmilled. The cuffs and collar are in amazing shape with a great snap to them despite being second hand, and there's basically no pilling. Appears to be single ply. They ran me ~$30 a pop.

Is this indeed "the good stuff" or was Ballantyne quality for Berk retailers slightly lesser?

that's the good stuff, although i personally prefer multi-ply sweaters. ime, they're a bit more durable and warmer to boot. downside is that they're chunkier, which can make them hard to layer under fitted jackets

a one-ply sweater i owned from barrie, for example, stretched out easily in the arms.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's the good stuff, although i personally prefer multi-ply sweaters. ime, they're a bit more durable and warmer to boot. downside is that they're chunkier, which can make them hard to layer under fitted jackets

a one-ply sweater i owned from barrie, for example, stretched out easily in the arms.

For sure. I'd much rather they be 2-ply minimum... but I suppose buyers on the second hand market can't be choosers. I'll post up a picture of the lot of them in the next few days.

fastlane

Reaction score
Just stumbled around this thread...

You for sure should checkt out FEDELI - to me one of the top 3 in terms of Knitwear & Cashmere (Actually I just started an appreciation thread for them: (https://www.styleforum.net/threads/fedeli-appreciation-thread.644393/)

And look for Fissore or Fioroni (belonging to Attolini + were doing Knitwear for Tom Ford back in the days where Tom Ford was not a rubbish mainstream brand) on Yoox - they have superb quality and if you are lucky you can grab them on yoox for the fraction of the price!!!

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the berk for Ballantyne,
it very very good.
Me have some 3 ply cashmere rollnecks bought new and 1 ply bought new.
Very very good.
Me have other Ballantyne 2 ply roll necks bought new and it best there ever was.
It feel thick and soft and never pill.

Old Alan Paine more good than new Alan Paine made-in-England.
It more thick and nice.

2012 ballantyne < old ballantyne
it pill more than old ballantyne

new 3 ply Berk cashmere sweater < new Berk/Ballantyne cashmere sweater.
berk/ballantyne hold up more good and it more solid.

Last edited:

Knurt

Reaction score
I just purchased a cashmere Attolini sweater. No Attolini label inside, but it was marked as «made in Scotland». Thick cashmere, looks tightly woven to me. Anyone with any idea where this fits in?

Stilig

Reaction score
I just purchased a cashmere Attolini sweater. No Attolini label inside, but it was marked as «made in Scotland». Thick cashmere, looks tightly woven to me. Anyone with any idea where this fits in?

If it's Attolini it's probably excellent. Odd that it wouldn't have an Attolini label though? Did you buy it in one of their stores?

A couple of years back Attolini bought Fioroni cashmere so it seems odd that they'd use a Scottish maker for their knitwear.

Knurt

Reaction score
If it's Attolini it's probably excellent. Odd that it wouldn't have an Attolini label though? Did you buy it in one of their stores?

A couple of years back Attolini bought Fioroni cashmere so it seems odd that they'd use a Scottish maker for their knitwear.

It was bought from Isuit, so I expect it to be the real thing.

Mothetgoo

Reaction score
I wanted to post a recent experience with N. Peal's MTO program. N. Peal is a great mid-high end priced cashmere knitwear company, but until recently I did not realize that you could order any of their products made to measure in custom colors, for the same price as their website. This is basically bespoke cashmere knitwear, made in England, for $300-500. I just recieved my first garment and it is awesome. I went in to the store on Madison, but I think the other way to do it would be to maybe order an off-the-rack garment, take it to a tailor and have the tailor recommend changes to the measurements, and then return the one you ordered and order another one with the altered measurements. Orders must be placed over the phone, and take 2-3 months. I just figured I would share that this exists and that is is awesome. I am very tall and for my whole life I have had trouble finding knitwear that fits correctly, and this is a great solution! I also would recommend Maison Cashmere's MTO, but it is decidedly more mid-range in quality and the selection is nowhere near as good. Good for basics, however.

papa kot

Reaction score
A few years ago all my sweaters were cashmere. Now, about eighty percent are, as I am slowly adding merino. While I cannot tell you the hierarchy, it is becoming apparent that good cashmere is insanely expensive. It is wiser to add merino and wool blends at mid-price range ($150-300) to get good quality.

In general, I'd avoid anything mass produced. Banana Republic, J.Crew are absolutely terrible in terms of wear. Never had a cashmere sweater from those outfits that I did not return in 30 days. Extremely poor quality combined with questionable fabric.

Brooks Brothers is a step up but not really. Terrible quality--seams fell apart on me and while cashmere is soft, it seems to lose its cachet fast. The flagship store charge me for a repair of a $450 sweater that was about 4 months old.

PRL--okay. I have a few sweaters that lasted multiple seasons with proper wear and storage.

PRL Purple Label--insanely expensive. Quality is decent. May buy again on sale.

Gran Sasso--I like it only because the price is right when you find them brand new on eBay.

I've had a few other brands that I don't remember, but nothing exciting. The secret, as I've learned, is having a ton of $ that you can spend on a large collection. If you wear a sweater only a few times per season, it is more likely than not to last :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads