• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Any idea of who the maker of these Drake's cardigans is? They are lambswool, with mother of pearl buttons, made in Italy.

View attachment 1882025
Don't know, but the cardigan is very nice. Given the price and Drake's prestige, it should be a very reputable maker (Zegna possibly?).

I find it extremely difficult, although not impossible, to be made by Zegna due to its material, and to be dead honest I cannot imagine that Zegna would consider making something for a brand at the level of Drakes (which may be respected here for a number of reasons but no).

Zegna's current RTW knitwear emphasizes noble, top-shelf materials and mixes in the likes of Vicuña, Cashmere, Cashseta (Cashmere-Silk mix), CashCo (Cashmere-Cotton), very low Milmil wool..., you get the picture.

Cheers,

Dimitris

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, in deed!

I already had in mind our fellow's @Amidé images, firstly because he is an AV and therefore his photography has to be (and is!) very professional, secondly because the garments' images' depiction follows a certain iteration, and finally because they (the images) are presently available.

So, material aside, the Fair isle Lambswool's armhole is not only clearly more closed than the Super Geelong one's, but to illustrate it, if you draw a straight line from the apex of the latter's "V", the line would end inside the armhole, whereas the relevant straight line in the case of the Lambswool falls below the armhole.

Needless to say, that my screen visual observation leads me to the conclusion that the pit-to-pit measurements as a proxy of chest size may not be 100% comparable - and therefore caution is needed - as the bottom of the Lambswool's armpits is much, much higher in the garment compared to the Super Geelong one!

Perhaps one gentleman here with WL waistcoats in both qualities would be kind enough to contribute to this discussion.

Best,

Dimitris
Not the best picture, but you’ll get the idea..

848D16A5-DD65-404F-8346-3DE4E143582D.jpeg

Iskander

Reaction score
It depends on your preferences. I usually wear a waistcoat rather trim, as it's supposed to be worn under a jacket, thus I size down. If you want to wear it more casually, you could possibly prefer a more relaxed fit and choose your normal size.
Thanks for your response.

Relatedly, does anyone know if the William Lockie waistcoats have a reinforced placket?

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Relatedly, does anyone know if the William Lockie waistcoats have a reinforced placket?

My Lockie camelhair cardigan (with sleeves) does have a reinforced placket. Not sure if they waistcoats do or not, but I'd imagine so.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score

To contribute, my William Lockie Super Geelong waistcoat's placket is also reinforced with grosgrain.

Best,

Dimitris

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
some of you might find this interesting - RLPL is introducing a sustainability certification for its cashmere sweaters, including a recycling solution

not quite the sheep-to-shop model other brands are pursuing, but given that they don't produce anything in-house, this has to be expected

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some of you might find this interesting - RLPL is introducing a sustainability certification for its cashmere sweaters, including a recycling solution

not quite the sheep-to-shop model other brands are pursuing, but given that they don't produce anything in-house, this has to be expected

Just the obligatory ESG bullshit of the brave new world.

TheRolls321

Reaction score
Anyone know who makes Berluti's cashmere? Picked up a thick and chunky rośe coloured turtleneck from Mr. P's 80% off sale last year. Was $440 marked down from $2200. Made in Italy. Has held up nicely after a years worth of heavy wear.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 7
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 10

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
Anyone know who makes Berluti's cashmere? Picked up a thick and chunky rośe coloured turtleneck from Mr. P's 80% off sale last year. Was $440 marked down from $2200. Made in Italy. Has held up nicely after a years worth of heavy wear.

View attachment 1883878

View attachment 1883879

View attachment 1883880

I'm by no means an expert but LVMH has acquired Berluti since 1993 and Berluti launched its first RTW collection in 2012, when coincidentally in that exact same year Antoine Arnault became CEO of both Berluti and Loro Piana. Given the fact that Loro Piana is very much vertically integrated and both brands are under LVMH with same management, it's not hard to connect the dots which leads people to believe LP would be the maker. Why would you outsource such job to another maker if you have all the resources right next door? But again, it's just my wild guess , would love to know the maker as well

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert but LVMH has acquired Berluti since 1993 and Berluti launched its first RTW collection in 2012, when coincidentally in that exact same year Antoine Arnault became CEO of both Berluti and Loro Piana. Given the fact that Loro Piana is very much vertically integrated and both brands are under LVMH with same management, it's not hard to connect the dots which leads people to believe LP would be the maker. Why would you outsource such job to another maker if you have all the resources right next door? But again, it's just my wild guess , would love to know the maker as well

can semi-confirm this, a pal of mine used to work for LMVH and said at the time that LP provides most of Berluti's fabrics, among products for other brands within the holding

that was a few years ago, but well after the RTW launch, so whether or not it's made by LP is a different question, but the yarn used for this sweater is most likely from Loro Piana

Zc94

Reaction score
can semi-confirm this, a pal of mine used to work for LMVH and said at the time that LP provides most of Berluti's fabrics, among products for other brands within the holding

that was a few years ago, but well after the RTW launch, so whether or not it's made by LP is a different question, but the yarn used for this sweater is most likely from Loro Piana
It seems to me that Loro Piana almost never makes anything thick like that, or something equivalent to a 4 ply knit. Am I missing something or is it the case? Thanks

TheRolls321

Reaction score

The logic follows. Would not be surprised if it is indeed Loro Piana yarn used in this sweater or if LP manufactured it.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New in, William Lockie Gordon geelong cardigan in Lapis.

20230130_134949.jpg
20230130_135024.jpg
20230130_135102.jpg
20230130_135044.jpg

It's a EU 48 size, 53 cm pit to pit. The sleeve length might be somehow skimpy, but I learnt to stretched it a bit with some ironing work.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads