• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
article on sweater i'll post pics later

it is interesting

if anyone read the article, the sweater has an inside out effect. the sweater is knit with the inside fabric facing out and also has the intarsia facing out. I think it's a cool effect, but I worry if it will impact the longevity
IMG_2620 (2).JPG
IMG_2622 (2).JPG
IMG_2623 (2).JPG
IMG_2624 (2).JPG
IMG_2621.JPG

what do you think? will it be less durable?

by the way, this one is made in Inner Mongolia, not Italy

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
if anyone read the article, the sweater has an inside out effect. the sweater is knit with the inside fabric facing out and also has the intarsia facing out. I think it's a cool effect, but I worry if it will impact the longevity
View attachment 1865615 View attachment 1865616 View attachment 1865617 View attachment 1865618 View attachment 1865620

might make it easier to have a thread caught in something - think jacket zipper

but as for the fabric itself, it should not make a difference as there's no upper or belly side to it

the effect it has on the motive is beautiful

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1865615 View attachment 1865616 View attachment 1865617 View attachment 1865618 View attachment 1865620

i've always regarded the wrong side of stockinette as easier to pull than the right side ( which presents a smoother fabric surface ) . that said it is a really beautiful effect .

msimon

Reaction score
Is it undyed? Which brand?
It's a british company called blacksheep, it's undyed wool from the Welsh breed, black/brown and white mixed. They do not disclose ply but I reckon its probably 4ply. Very heavy, especially when your only 112lb at 5'7.

There crew necks are OK to if a bit out there and a slight hippy vibe.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You seem very fond of intarsia. Not my taste, even though I admire the craftsmanship and the skills such a product reveals. By the way, very interesting article.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem very fond of intarsia. Not my taste, even though I admire the craftsmanship and the skills such a product reveals. By the way, very interesting article.
yes, I definitely like it. it's not versatile or something that should be worn or done every day. IMO these are keys to making an outfit unique.

msimon

Reaction score
yes, I definitely like it. it's not versatile or something that should be worn or done every day. IMO these are keys to making an outfit unique.
Lovely sweater, would never wear one but definitely can appreciate the item. Reminds me of tapestry work.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Non traditional sweater making country.
Probably cheap labor.
Suspect it will also be cheap cashmere and not made with traditional techniques.
Best to avoid companies that engage in this type suspect manufacture imo.

msimon

Reaction score
Non traditional sweater making country.
Probably cheap labor.
Suspect it will also be cheap cashmere and not made with traditional techniques.
Best to avoid companies that engage in this type suspect manufacture imo.
You just reminded me that al jazeera did a story on clothing manufacturering here in the uk and what they found often was migrants working for £3 an hour in zero hour shifts and in most cases never having a full day.

One manufacturer was supplying to boohoo.

It happens everywhere, you get the best and worst no matter where you are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads