• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have in warehouse stock an over the knees dark coat in size 48/50 and 52 100% yangir

Thank you, but at the moment I'm just interested in yangir knit. By the way, did you have the opportunity to compare it to vicuna? If so, what do you think, which fibre is the absolute peak?

Zc94

Reaction score
Question: do you guys wear sweaters by itself when driving or wear inside of a jacket or coat? I prefer to put the outerwear light or heavy on the passenger seat…the seatbelt is kinda rubbing on the sweater directly, I’ve just started wearing knits, used to be all sweatshirts as layers. So I don’t know the long term effect this has on sweaters.

Thanks for any feedbacks.

Johnny80

Reaction score
Question: do you guys wear sweaters by itself when driving or wear inside of a jacket or coat? I prefer to put the outerwear light or heavy on the passenger seat…the seatbelt is kinda rubbing on the sweater directly, I’ve just started wearing knits, used to be all sweatshirts as layers. So I don’t know the long term effect this has on sweaters.

Thanks for any feedbacks.
It depends...in summer days/warm days i wear polo style 1 ply by itself
In colder days, shirt with sweater with jacket / overcoat , i also like turtleneck with jacket. The positive side for me in colder days is that i dont wear sweaters directly on skin so this way i can wash my garment far fewer times than in summer days
Dont worry about driving , the seatbelt (in its original state) material is not affecting your garment
Maybe if we have an accident can be a friction that can leave some marks but our garment in that case is the least of our worries since we can buy another one
For extra you can buy only knits that are cut with the fibres on vertical

Last edited:

Johnny80

Reaction score
Thank you, but at the moment I'm just interested in yangir knit. By the way, did you have the opportunity to compare it to vicuna? If so, what do you think, which fibre is the absolute peak?
while both are a true pinnacle of the natural fibres , in my opinion as a knit yangir is better but as an coat/overcoat i still would go with vicuna instead of the yangir. Yangir can be dyed and come in different colours while vicuna is still the best to buy it in its natural colour

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
while both are a true pinnacle of the natural fibres , in my opinion as a knit yangir is better but as an coat/overcoat i still would go with vicuna instead of the yangir. Yangir can be dyed and come in different colours while vicuna is still the best to buy it in its natural colour

Interesting, as always!

Could you please post the abbreviation of yangir?

(As vicuña is WG, cashmere is WS, etc, etc.)

Thank you,

Dimitris

msimon

Reaction score
I really dislike modern knitwear and don't own any of these styles, zips, hoodies, sweatshirts and others, but certainly don't condemn anybody for having tastes different from mine.
I wasnt even counting sweatshirts and hoodies to be honest, I find them boring and sometimes distasteful, just the zips necks and some full zips.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasnt even counting sweatshirts and hoodies to be honest, I find them boring and sometimes distasteful, just the zips necks and some full zips.

I certainly prefer buttons over zips, but it's obviously a matter of personal taste.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
Did you bought something?

short sleeve cashmere polo from Dolce & Gabbana, and a round neck from Drumhor, primarily because I've never tried either one's cashmere - I will report back and share pics (comparison close-ups) if there is interest/demand for it

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, vicuna, as well as camel hair, seems less suitable for dyeing, you have a very limited selection.
By the way, I love the natural tones of vicuna and camel.

This is a 20+ years old camel hair jumper from Helmut Lang, made in Italy. Pretty well preserved.

20221129_111211.jpg
20221129_111234.jpg

M size, 51 cm pit to pit.

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
short sleeve cashmere polo from Dolce & Gabbana, and a round neck from Drumhor, primarily because I've never tried either one's cashmere - I will report back and share pics (comparison close-ups) if there is interest/demand for it

There's always interest for nice knitwear.

Johnny80

Reaction score
Interesting, as always!

Could you please post the abbreviation of yangir?

(As vicuña is WG, cashmere is WS, etc, etc.)

Thank you,

Dimitris

-WO : virgin wool (not recycled)
-WP: alpaca
-WS: cashmere (not recycled)
-WL : lama
-WSY: yangir cashmere ( or yangir 100%)
-WM : mohair
-WA : angora
-WV : fleece wool (not recycled)
-SE : silk
-LI : flax/linen (not recycled)
-HL : blend flex with cotton
-HA : hemp
-WU: guanaco
-WY: yack
-WK: camelhair
-WG: vicuna

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cashmere Diaries No. 1

Today while putting on my William Lockie I discovered, to my pleasant surprise, that not only the armpit seams are reinforced, but they also hand reinforced the turn cuff seams and the seams at the bottom ribbed hem - for a total of six (6) spots. To me, this kind of hand work and attention to detail is what makes a knitwear piece truly "worth it", and what makes them last.
View attachment 1861722

On the contrary, the Berk I got my from my father does not have these reinforcements.
View attachment 1861723

Other than WL, Only Loro Piana, Fioroni and Chanel (Barrie) have this feature. Colombo does not.
View attachment 1861725 View attachment 1861726 View attachment 1861727

Don't know, possibly too much attention to this aspect. I understand that those reinforcements on the stress points have sense, but I actually saw them on nearly my all knitwear, included the cheapest pieces, like Alan Paine's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads