• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
can confirm this on geelong and camel aswell. I assume all there knitwear is the same.

You mean William Lockie?

Can you please post pictures and state what make-up is each garment?

Thank you,

Dimitris

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know why, but those should be valuable like rare mechanical watches over time
Wines is different because once you open it, it looses it valuable but watches like Grade A+ knits you can use it almost everyday, take care of them and still remain a reference point in craftsmanship

Should be yes, but very unlikely in reality. The problem is people are rapidly moving away from wearing traditionally styled knitwear in favor of synthetic quarter-zips/vests etc. I would think this trend will prevent any long term value appreciation potential.

Johnny80

Reaction score
Couldn't find any knit in yangir.
Sorry, i dont sell mine , jokes aside this is because they are rare , from my experience is more rare than vicuna...the easiest way to buy is to talk to them directly and they will notify you in advance (when they have enough material )with your size and knit/coat when its done and in general they are making RTW for F/W collection but not for every year.
Mine are RTW because when i wanted another turtleneck 6 ply with pay in advance i had to wait for 9 months, so i cancel it. But if you know that you want this for next winter you should speak with them from now, just to be sure and see what they have to say. You can try to other houses like i did, but i had no luck since they dont have this particularly material

Last edited:

Johnny80

Reaction score
Cashmere Diaries No. 1

Today while putting on my William Lockie I discovered, to my pleasant surprise, that not only the armpit seams are reinforced, but they also hand reinforced the turn cuff seams and the seams at the bottom ribbed hem - for a total of six (6) spots. To me, this kind of hand work and attention to detail is what makes a knitwear piece truly "worth it", and what makes them last.
View attachment 1861722

On the contrary, the Berk I got my from my father does not have these reinforcements.
View attachment 1861723

Other than WL, Only Loro Piana, Fioroni and Chanel (Barrie) have this feature. Colombo does not.
View attachment 1861725 View attachment 1861726 View attachment 1861727
ribbed hem is in the threat it self on Colombo I think this will be the next trend , is more pleasent to the eyes, and i think i had on my lab some new WL collection(F/W 2023) with this done into the thread itself for armpit and hem. I will try to find some micro pics when im at work, in general are stored for 6 months then erased, because with normal camera is very hard to see with the naked eye and i personally dont have professional camera
I hope this will be the trend because not just it is more pleasant/elegant/fluid but, it will allow this for the so called "two face" knits/garments

Last edited:

Johnny80

Reaction score
Should be yes, but very unlikely in reality. The problem is people are rapidly moving away from wearing traditionally styled knitwear in favor of synthetic quarter-zips/vests etc. I would think this trend will prevent any long term value appreciation potential.
the same way you can tell about watches...the trend is going for apple watches or other digital obsolete things. But this is just my opinion to this matter

Johnny80

Reaction score
Cashmere Diaries No. 1

Today while putting on my William Lockie I discovered, to my pleasant surprise, that not only the armpit seams are reinforced, but they also hand reinforced the turn cuff seams and the seams at the bottom ribbed hem - for a total of six (6) spots. To me, this kind of hand work and attention to detail is what makes a knitwear piece truly "worth it", and what makes them last.
View attachment 1861722

On the contrary, the Berk I got my from my father does not have these reinforcements.
View attachment 1861723

Other than WL, Only Loro Piana, Fioroni and Chanel (Barrie) have this feature. Colombo does not.
Another thing , from Scottish buy WL because they will raise their prices as well, so who needs and see something they like in their size, now is the time. Because WL is not working to cut corners like others to keep their prices despite inflation and raw materials getting more expensive
WL is Scottish best price/quality house

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cashmere Diaries No. 1

View attachment 1861722

View attachment 1861723

interesting , possible to show the right side of the armpit ?

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
of course, every 2% means around 12-15% less expensive to the final customer, for the maker is a cost reduction at scale
But the feels remains at that composition, i dont know why is it that way, because you dont loose the benefits or draws of an 100% cashmere but you also dont get the benefits of an 70% cashmere with 30% synthetic.
Not necessarily true. 2-3 of% elastane is totally enough to make a difference in fabric properties - that’s how much stretch jeans have. 10-15% elastane is how much compression shirts/rashguards have.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
not to push for overconsumption, but I found quite a few Malo, Cruiciani, and Fedeli sweaters for well under or just above $100 during the current BFCM Yoox promo, in case anyone is looking to add some cashmere rotation

Colombo for under $400
Cucinelli mid $300

applicable to their European distribution/ecommerce

msimon

Reaction score
I like both traditional and modern knitwear, I appreciate both for what they offer. I have plenty of merino zip necks and there my go to, no one should be one or other, and condem others for what they wear which happens alot on here, now having said that I do think there will allways be companies selling higher end knitwear like john smedley or alan paine and such.

Mechanical watches are not going anywhere for those who can afford them, because In the 2nd hand jawllery bussines watches sell all time

Johnny80

Reaction score
Not necessarily true. 2-3 of% elastane is totally enough to make a difference in fabric properties - that’s how much stretch jeans have. 10-15% elastane is how much compression shirts/rashguards have.
In those cases yes, of course ,Jeans are supposed to be like that since in general are cotton/denim, different material than wool/cashmere. In knit you dont need elastane because cashmere, merino wool already have that property. What i meant by that in that comment is that with enough synthetic 30% in general you can throw your garment in your washing machine , the garment is no longer so delicate, thats the only thing positive but with just 1-3% is not, is still recommended to hand wash it or delicate in washing machine at low temp

Last edited:

Johnny80

Reaction score
not to push for overconsumption, but I found quite a few Malo, Cruiciani, and Fedeli sweaters for well under or just above $100 during the current BFCM Yoox promo, in case anyone is looking to add some cashmere rotation

Colombo for under $400
Cucinelli mid $300

applicable to their European distribution/ecommerce
Did you bought something?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like both traditional and modern knitwear, I appreciate both for what they offer. I have plenty of merino zip necks and there my go to, no one should be one or other, and condem others for what they wear which happens alot on here, now having said that I do think there will allways be companies selling higher end knitwear like john smedley or alan paine and such.

Mechanical watches are not going anywhere for those who can afford them, because In the 2nd hand jawllery bussines watches sell all time

I really dislike modern knitwear and don't own any of these styles, zips, hoodies, sweatshirts and others, but certainly don't condemn anybody for having tastes different from mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads