• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barrie.
They do the extra thick ply that make it spongy and good.
Hermes made-in-Scotland = the best cashmere today.
You lucky,
me wanted it.

Who makes the Hermes made in Scotland sweaters? They're better than Brunello Cucinelli and Loro Piana?

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are O'Connel's cashmere offerings? They're made in Scotland. Who makes them? I'm eyeing these:

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes the Hermes made in Scotland sweaters? They're better than Brunello Cucinelli and Loro Piana?

They're made by Barry. Compared to the BC turtleneck I got from you, it's a little less silky, but it feels like the weave is a little sturdier if that makes sense.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
How are O'Connel's cashmere offerings? They're made in Scotland. Who makes them? I'm eyeing these:

Pretty sure their shawl collar cardigans are Scott and Charters. I say this because they look Scott and Charters-y and because they offer Donegal ones and striped ones. I would guess that the rest of their cashmere is Scott and Charters as well. Scott and Charters stuff is high quality. I happen to like Lockie cashmere too, and their stuff is both more widely available and costs less.

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're made by Barry. Compared to the BC turtleneck I got from you, it's a little less silky, but it feels like the weave is a little sturdier if that makes sense.

I've never heard of Barry. Do you mean Barrie? Do you know anything about O'Connell's cashmere offerings?

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure their shawl collar cardigans are Scott and Charters. I say this because they look Scott and Charters-y and because they offer Donegal ones and striped ones. I would guess that the rest of their cashmere is Scott and Charters as well. Scott and Charters stuff is high quality. I happen to like Lockie cashmere too, and their stuff is both more widely available and costs less.

How is it compared to Loro Piana and Brunello Cucinelli? Those are the only cashmere sweaters I own at the moment. I'm wondering if the made in Scotland cashmere is better in general.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How is it compared to Loro Piana and Brunello Cucinelli? Those are the only cashmere sweaters I own at the moment. I'm wondering if the made in Scotland cashmere is better in general.

Scottish cashmere tends to be not as soft as Italian, but it's often more durable. Hard to compare like this because knitwear differs along many dimensions, not easily reduced to country of origin or brand labels. You may buy a certain sweater and find it doesn't hold up as well as your specific Cucinelli piece. But generally, Scottish cashmere is good.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
^This.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s no general rule around this. I own cashmere sweaters and knitwear across a range of brands. Paul Stuart offers both Scottish and Italian cashmere. The Scottish tends to be thicker and heavier whereas the Italian tends to be lighter. The customer can then have options based on his needs.

I have RLPL Italian cashmere sweaters that are as thick as rugs and provide serious warmth and then some that are thinner and lighter. The same for Loro Piana.

If there’s a general rule I’m not aware of it. I’ll defer to those who do this stuff for a living. For me, it’s another reason I prefer to touch, feel and wear something before buying.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know how Barry compares to Loro Piano. I would were them with my Ambrosini pents and Attolino jackets. Do you know?

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the 12-ply cardigan. It's incredibly thick, plush and soft but also pills pretty badly. The most annoying part about it is that the faux leather buttons that come on it are way too small for the button holes, so they are constantly coming out when you wear it. A fixable issue for sure, but inexcusable for a $1200+ sweater.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the 12-ply cardigan. It's incredibly thick, plush and soft but also pills pretty badly. The most annoying part about it is that the faux leather buttons that come on it are way too small for the button holes, so they are constantly coming out when you wear it. A fixable issue for sure, but inexcusable for a $1200+ sweater.

Odd because the description calls them “handmade leather buttons.” That’s reason enough for me to be suspicious of getting anything from them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads