• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Undertook a cursory look, seems you are correct. However, William Lockie site is showing AW 2021 collection, currently. Trusted stockist you might recommend?

Well, heritage of/in the Scottish borders is one thing, marketing is another! You are correct dear Sir, their site is quite unacceptable!

One has to consider that in January 2020, Mr David Nuttall, the up-to-that-moment Managing Director of William Lockie bought "A Hume", which was eventually renamed "Humes Outfitters", and obviously left WL. His daughter, Ms Rachel Thomson followed him to this new endeavor, while she (I believe) was in charge of WL Marketing dept; hence, the WL site (the responsibility of the Marketing dept) is presently as she left it 3+ years ago! (apparel collections are normally worked out at least one year in advance, along with their corresponding presentation).

Best,

Dimitris

Last edited:

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I remember correcly, you are based in Australia, so it would obviously be advantageous, if you could buy from a site there.

I can recommend Michael Jondral and Frans Boone.
E-mailed W. Lockie for Australian stockists, rather prompt response with 1 local option. Will check them out tomorrow.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New cashmere Oxton cardigan courtesy of Mr. Porter sale.

Colour is Porcupine, a dark to medium brown. True colour can be seen in the photo where it sits next to my Pearl Grey one.

Attachments

• IMG_2514.jpeg
    IMG_2514.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2515.jpeg
    IMG_2515.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2516.jpeg
    IMG_2516.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2517.jpeg
    IMG_2517.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 221

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New cashmere Oxton cardigan courtesy of Mr. Porter sale.

Colour is Porcupine, a dark to medium brown. True colour can be seen in the photo where it sits next to my Pearl Grey one.

Yes, it's a dark greyish brown. I have a shetland cardigan from Harley in this colour. It seems that all brands use the same nomenclature for the colours.

HotDilf

Reaction score
Cashmere Diaries No. 2
Showcasing one of my prized possessions - 100% cashmere tennis sweater, made in Scotland - from Thom Browne's Fall 2007 Black Fleece collection. This inaugural collection was notorious for being ridiculously $$$, as no expenses were spared in materials and production, which eventually prompted Brooks Brothers asking him to "tone it down" in order to cut costs.
1686680749535.jpeg

100% undyed white cashmere, grosgrain-lined sleeve opening with mother-of-pearl buttons, made in Scotland. One of my heaviest cashmere sweaters weighing 1.7 pounds.

1686680859072.jpeg

Comparison of thickness - on top is a Loro Piana baby cashmere crewneck.

Tennis-Cable-Knit-V-neck-Sweater-Apparel-Arts-1936.webp

Sean Bologna

Reaction score
Cashmere Diaries No. 2
Showcasing one of my prized possessions - 100% cashmere tennis sweater, made in Scotland - from Thom Browne's Fall 2007 Black Fleece collection. This inaugural collection was notorious for being ridiculously $$$, as no expenses were spared in materials and production, which eventually prompted Brooks Brothers asking him to "tone it down" in order to cut costs.
View attachment 1973871

100% undyed white cashmere, grosgrain-lined sleeve opening with mother-of-pearl buttons, made in Scotland. One of my heaviest cashmere sweaters weighing 1.7 pounds.

View attachment 1973875

Comparison of thickness - on top is a Loro Piana baby cashmere crewneck.

Tennis-Cable-Knit-V-neck-Sweater-Apparel-Arts-1936.webp
That's a super cool sweater. What was the retail price?

darebear36

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Joshua Ellis cashmere? Apparently they supply cashmere to Burberry, Ralph Lauren Purple Label (not sure if they are the supplier for Polo Ralph Lauren as well), and Chanel.

I was considering a cashmere piece from RLPL but as I've haven't heard great things about PRL cashmere was wondering if they would be the same quality and supplier.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Joshua Ellis cashmere? Apparently they supply cashmere to Burberry, Ralph Lauren Purple Label (not sure if they are the supplier for Polo Ralph Lauren as well), and Chanel.

I was considering a cashmere piece from RLPL but as I've haven't heard great things about PRL cashmere was wondering if they would be the same quality and supplier.

I have a lot of scarves from Joshua Ellis, great quality, but don't know whether they also supply cashmere for knitwear.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RLPL cashmere is not terrible good, now. Have sweaters from 20/25 years ago that shame current RLPL. So I would be sceptical.

Johnny80

Reaction score
i would not buy Joshua Ellis as knit only if you saw something that you love and the fit is perfect but the quality in time goes away especially because of moisture, so careful where do you keep it, and also wear something beneath it to keep away from your direct contact with your skin
RLPL as someone above me said...since 2016 are not top tier grade for knits

darebear36

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for chiming in. I will probably stick to BC or LP for my first piece. I have read all 138 pages of this thread from the beginning so I am aware that there are a lot more options, I will explore those later!

Johnny80

Reaction score
since we occasionally diverge from cashmere into broader knitwear on this thread, I'd like to ask, can someone recommend a brand for Merino wool polo shirts ? (Merino silk blends are fine too)

as per usual, tyia and I hope y'all are doing well
it depends on your budget...you have 12.8µ merino wool if you want something great for all seasons, also Johnstons of Elgin still makes great merino wool knits (polo shirts included) for their price, Gran Sasso another brand in that price category.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
it depends on your budget...you have 12.8µ merino wool if you want something great for all seasons, also Johnstons of Elgin still makes great merino wool knits (polo shirts included) for their price, Gran Sasso another brand in that price category.
Something that will last a little longer than the finest and thinnest knit, was completely unaware that JoE makes them - thank you Johnny

couldn't find any at Gran Sasso before I posted, but will keep an eye out during the FW season

I bought one from Paul James a while back and it wears great (no real pilling maintained its shape after washing), I've found Zegna's mainline Merino knitwear, not Techmerino from the formerly Z Zegna, to be somewhat fragile - tldr - something in between would be great

any opinions on Sunspel in that regard ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads