• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere shirts

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw a cashmere shirt at the Paul Stuart sale and was wondering about these. Does anyone here wear wool or cashmere shirts?

This one was a brown/green plaid with a semi spread collar, front placket, and open breast pocket. It fit me relatively well, but I've been spoiled by custom shirts, and was wondering if a regular shirt maker would make one. There is a risk of looking like a woodsman, of course.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I got a RTW one a loooong time ago. It was a nice pattern, even though the sleeves were a little short.

As I recall, it started to look very "droopy" after not a great amount of time. The sleeves bagged at the elbow, the collarband collapsed, etc. Maybe that's something you are after, but to me it just started to look old, and not in a good way.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe that people have had cashmere from Johnston's sent to my shirtmaker and she has made some shirts from it. She may have made shirt jackets, I don't remember the whole story perfectly. Loro Piana used to sell a few.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a simple RTW light wool shirt with suede elbow patches from Faconable. I guess 10-12 years old, not a lot of use, but nice when Its a late September sunday
smile.gif
You did of course see the one CEGO made for a member, quite nice imo, just without the pockets. http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...6&postcount=21 This is of course a matter of personal preference. Speed

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Gotta be better than cashmere socks, however, which, after gambling, rank as the stupidest indulgence known to man. $60 (and up) for maybe half a dozen wears. Yeah.

Meursault

Reaction score
Alumo does a decent cotton-cashmere blend, in nice greys, blues and browns (solids only, AFAIK).

Kilgour RTW also did some a while ago. Nice casual shirts for slightly colder days.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it could end up being a novelty item that just doesn't get worn. And an expensive one at that. The one I tried on had a retail price of $500, not bad considering, and on discount it would have been around $90, but still. I could see it being worn on fall weekends when a jacket might be too formal.

Speed, that's a shirt jacket. Not quite the same thing.

What I would really like would be if Geneva could make me something like what A.M. made for T4phage

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
According to his website, The Kabbaz makes cashmere shirts. He might have an opinion on how long they last.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
What I would really like would be if Geneva could make me something like what A.M. made for T4phage

No harm in asking, but I really, really doubt it. I love those guys, but they run what is essentially a factory geared to making a certain kind of shirt, and this ain't that.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
According to his website, The Kabbaz makes cashmere shirts. He might have an opinion on how long they last.

$2,800, so $400 a wearing.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have a variety of cotton-cashmere blend shirts RTW (from7% til 20%)
They are all cutaway, most are twill (I prefer) and my "go to" winter shirts.
They have all kept up well. Can post a Zegna (3y) if interesting.

fwiw

Speed

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I saw a cashmere shirt at the Paul Stuart sale and was wondering about these. Does anyone here wear wool or cashmere shirts?

This one was a brown/green plaid with a semi spread collar, front placket, and open breast pocket. It fit me relatively well, but I've been spoiled by custom shirts, and was wondering if a regular shirt maker would make one. There is a risk of looking like a woodsman, of course.

The closest thing I have is several merino wool polo shirts. I haven't worn them enough to comment on their longevity, but they must be more durable than comparable weight/quality cashmere. I also have several Viyella shirts (55% merino wool; 45% cotton) that are holding up well. A custom shirt maker would almost certainly make shirts of Viyella and maybe pure merino wool, as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads