Cashmere scarves

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tiecollector, Oct 23, 2006.

1. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

2. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I was in BR today and saw this:
    http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...scid=433067012

I like it a lot but will be damned if I'm going to pay $88 for it. Does anyone know where I can find something similar?

Check STP

3. tiecollector

4. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

5. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Bluefly usually has excellent prices, on cashmere scarves. I've bought many of them, for presents. I have found portolano cashmere scarves at Value City, for eleven dollars. This, around Valentine's Day. Last year I bought my sister a generous, cashmere shawl at Value City, for 18 bucks. A 300 dollar price tag, was still affixed. No, they are not the highest quality. But for the price, they're cashmere, and they're warm. The scarves I own that are of higher quality, I wear on dressy occasions.

6. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Not That this truly answers your question because if you arent gonna pay 88 for a Chinese Cashmere then you wouldnt pay 80 for a Lambswool/Angora Blend even if it was very soft, but these are similar to what you posted.

http://www.fourinhand.com/Product.as...ct=AB80E-WA-12

I have had people comment that they thought the blend was similar to cashmere. That was before they felt the Begg Cashmere that is.

7. tiecollector

Not That this truly answers your question because if you arent gonna pay 88 for a Chinese Cashmere then you wouldnt pay 80 for a Lambswool/Angora Blend even if it was very soft, but these are similar to what you posted.

http://www.fourinhand.com/Product.as...ct=AB80E-WA-12

I have had people comment that they thought the blend was similar to cashmere. That was before they felt the Begg Cashmere that is.

Very nice scarves. I just can't bring myself to pay more than $30 for a scarf though. I will keep looking and maybe just try a cashmere blend just to see if I like it.

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

maybe just try a cashmere blend just to see if I like it.

If you're not up for spending the money for Scottish cashmere, go with merino wool. Cheap cashmere is a waste of money.

9. jml90

jml90 Senior member

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

You'll be damned if you're going to pay $88.00 for a cashmere scarf???

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

If you don't fear a possibly used scarf (oh, the horror!), you can do quite well on ebay.

12. stach

stach Senior member

I have found portolano cashmere scarves at Value City, for eleven dollars.

Where is Value City??????

13. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

14. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Value City is right here, in my home town. LOL. Not everybody, has them. There's lots of junk, of course . . . just like in high end department stores. It's up to you, to look for 'bargains that count.' My favorite sprees at the City, occurred when they brought racks of Armani Black Label samples, into the store. All of them, were size 38, or 36. I could fit into all the size 38; I bought about two hundred thousand dollars worth of clothes that year . . . most at ninety percent, off. I haven't even had occasion to wear all of them, yet. They had boots from Barneys, Louboutin shoes for women, Fendi scarves, Picasso purses; I was in a constant state of delirium. During one trip to the City, I could NOT walk, from all the goodies that I had in my arms, on by shoulders, and over my head. Someone finally, gave me a shopping cart. What was good too, was that everybody else there, was buying the garbage, and leaving me alone . . .

For the past two years, though . . . really most all they've had is lower end merchandise. I buy French preserves, there . . . sometimes, some coffee . . . and cashmere scarves. BTW: they have merino wool scarves, too . . . after Thanksgiving.

15. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Very nice scarves. I just can't bring myself to pay more than $30 for a scarf though. I will keep looking and maybe just try a cashmere blend just to see if I like it.
    I swear by the Johnston's of Elgin cashmere scarves for $32 plus shipping (from STP, see above links). The merino/cashmere blends also represent great value but the cashmere is a lot better and not that much more expensive in absolute terms. Considering it's something you put against your neck and throat, it's a steal at $32.