• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere scarves?

indianshaft

Reaction score
How do you know if a scarf is good quality or not?

I recently purchased a 100% cashmere scarf but it feels thin, compared to others that I have looked at.

Are there some general characteristics in determining if a scarf is good or not? Also, is there a way to tell if it is 2ply (I think that is the term) or not?

Thanks for the help.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can feel the difference. Good cashmere is unbelievably soft.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Ralph Lauren Purple Label cashmere scarves. They run about $600 and are super thick.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or look into the Alex Beggs of Scotland scarves.

glum

Reaction score
i recently bought a ralph lauren scarf (not purple label) that is cashmere and is so thick. cost about 100$.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
There are different grades of cashmere qualities, so just because it's cashmere does not automatically mean it's good stuff. A high quality wool scarf could be much nicer to the touch than a low grade cashmere scarf.

Also, just because a cashmere scarf is thick does not mean it's of good quality. The Rubinacci cashmere scarves are very thin but unbelievably soft (I can pull it through my wedding ring and it's about 200 cm x 100 cm large).

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaves
There are different grades of cashmere qualities, so just because it's cashmere does not automatically mean it's good stuff. A high quality wool scarf could be much nicer to the touch than a low grade cashmere scarf.

Also, just because a cashmere scarf is thick does not mean it's of good quality. The Rubinacci cashmere scarves are very thin but unbelievably soft (I can pull it through my wedding ring and it's about 200 cm x 100 cm large).

Dealers of shahtoosh in Delhi like to boast that only a shahtoosh shawl can pass through a ring
sarcasm.gif

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Dealers of shahtoosh in Delhi like to boast that only a shahtoosh shawl can pass through a ring
sarcasm.gif

Pklease also note that shahtoosh is illegal to import into the US, as the animal from which it is made is endangered, and the current methof of production of shahtoosh requires that the animal be killed.

Go to a Rubinacci store and try it for yourself.

If in doubt, bring a married friend with big fingers.
biggrin.gif

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Rub it and see if your fingers feel greasy--bad sign. Johntsons (Johnsons?) of Scotland (I belive) makes nice ones. I have one of my Dad's that's at least 25 years old and no sign of wear. In contrast, I have a couple of J Crew cashmere sweaters that are two years old and shot.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a Rubinacci store and try it for yourself.

I was not challenging your statement, merely stating that dealers in shahtoosh mislead buyers here.

Shahtoosh is also illegal in India and some years there was a scheme to get your existing shahtoosh stuff registered with the government. If you are caught wearing shahtoosh today and you cant produce the registration to prove that you had it before it was banned, you are liable to be prosecuted. Needless to say the shawl will be confiscated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads