Cashmere scarves?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by indianshaft, Jan 20, 2011.

1. indianshaft

indianshaft Senior member

How do you know if a scarf is good quality or not?

I recently purchased a 100% cashmere scarf but it feels thin, compared to others that I have looked at.

Are there some general characteristics in determining if a scarf is good or not? Also, is there a way to tell if it is 2ply (I think that is the term) or not?

Thanks for the help.

2. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I can feel the difference. Good cashmere is unbelievably soft.

3. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Check out Ralph Lauren Purple Label cashmere scarves. They run about $600 and are super thick.

4. GBear

GBear Senior member

Or look into the Alex Beggs of Scotland scarves.

5. glum

glum Member

i recently bought a ralph lauren scarf (not purple label) that is cashmere and is so thick. cost about 100$.

6. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

There are different grades of cashmere qualities, so just because it's cashmere does not automatically mean it's good stuff. A high quality wool scarf could be much nicer to the touch than a low grade cashmere scarf.

Also, just because a cashmere scarf is thick does not mean it's of good quality. The Rubinacci cashmere scarves are very thin but unbelievably soft (I can pull it through my wedding ring and it's about 200 cm x 100 cm large).

7. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

There are different grades of cashmere qualities, so just because it's cashmere does not automatically mean it's good stuff. A high quality wool scarf could be much nicer to the touch than a low grade cashmere scarf.

Also, just because a cashmere scarf is thick does not mean it's of good quality. The Rubinacci cashmere scarves are very thin but unbelievably soft (I can pull it through my wedding ring and it's about 200 cm x 100 cm large).

Dealers of shahtoosh in Delhi like to boast that only a shahtoosh shawl can pass through a ring [​IMG]

8. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Dealers of shahtoosh in Delhi like to boast that only a shahtoosh shawl can pass through a ring [​IMG]

Go to a Rubinacci store and try it for yourself.

9. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Pklease also note that shahtoosh is illegal to import into the US, as the animal from which it is made is endangered, and the current methof of production of shahtoosh requires that the animal be killed.

If in doubt, bring a married friend with big fingers.[​IMG] .

10. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

Rub it and see if your fingers feel greasy--bad sign. Johntsons (Johnsons?) of Scotland (I belive) makes nice ones. I have one of my Dad's that's at least 25 years old and no sign of wear. In contrast, I have a couple of J Crew cashmere sweaters that are two years old and shot.

11. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I was not challenging your statement, merely stating that dealers in shahtoosh mislead buyers here.

Shahtoosh is also illegal in India and some years there was a scheme to get your existing shahtoosh stuff registered with the government. If you are caught wearing shahtoosh today and you cant produce the registration to prove that you had it before it was banned, you are liable to be prosecuted. Needless to say the shawl will be confiscated.