• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere scarf

Pink22m

Reaction score
I had a rather unfortunate accident and dropped my cashmere scarf (thankfully my Banana Republic one, and not one of my Burberry's) on my driveway while I was getting stuff out of the back seat of my car. The scarf fell into a puddle of water on the driveway, as it had been raining that day. I quickly took it in and dryed it off. It seems to be perfectly normal now, but I am concerned that there could have been some oil that it picked up or something from the driveway. Should I dry clean it like I was thinking of, or should I try to hand wash it with some Woolite? If handwashing is the ticket, how should I go about doing this? Your suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Mitch D

Reaction score
I don't know if this helps,but I found this,on a website that sells cashmere (although it doesn't mention scarves specifically): http://www.allola.com/cashmerecare.html Easy Tips for Cashmere Care Most stores would recommend or even request professional dry clean when it comes to clean your cashmere garments, but actually this is not the best way. Thinking of the way you care for your own hair, this also applies to your cashmere sweaters, because they are all Natural fibers. So as true savvy cashmere lovers, we would like to share our Easy Tips with you. Those tips are easy to follow, You do not have to spend a lot of time and money on professional dry clean again. How to wash -- Hand wash in lukewarm water using your hair shampoo. Be sure to dissolve the shampoo thoroughly,then put the sweater into water. Rinse with hair conditioner; this will make your cashmere sweater softer. Wash colored garments separately. -- Do not bleach. -- Squeeze gently, do not twist or wring. Twisting the wet sweater will stretch the shape of your sweater. -- Dry flat after removing excess water, away from direct heat and sunlight. -- Press with damp cloth, using a cool iron. Iron from the inside of the garment. ------------------------------------------------------------ Additionally,this from the CCMI (Cashmere and Camel Hair Manufacturers Institute): The best way to make sure cashmere and camel hair garments last is to handle them carefully. Cashmere and camel hair should be cared for like any other fine woolen. To keep them looking new, follow these steps: Hand wash knits with cold water, using a fine washable soap. Woven garments should be dry cleaned. Fold knitwear with tissue and store flat in a drawer; do not hang on hangers. Hang woven garments on padded hangers, zippered and buttoned with pants and shirts on hangers designed for them. Give garments a rest between wearings for at least 24 hours; wrinkles will vanish. Treat stains as quickly as possible; rinse immediately with cold water; hot water may set the stain. If garments get wet, allow to dry away from direct heat, then brush with the nap. At season's end, clean and store garments in an uncrowded garment bag in a cool, dry place; fold knits and store in a chest or drawer; moth crystals or spray will help protect garments from moths.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Mitch, thanks for the link to the website. Do you think that using Woolite or any other Fine Fabric detergent is ok for cashmere?

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've used woolite and/or zero hand wash/delicate wash detergent for all my fine fabrics without problem

i've even washed my cashmere in the gentle cycle of my washing machine without problem

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do wash cashmere sweaters (knitted), but I would not wash a scarf (woven). You might well end up with a tiny, little scarf to fit a Ken or Action-man doll.

If there are no visible stains, I wouldn't do anything. Otherwise have it dry cleaned. Oil stains should go out quite easily.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads