• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cashmere scarf bleeding on shirts

david123

Reaction score
I bought a wine-colored Begg scarf from the Ebay seller mentioned on the forum. The two times I've worn it with shirts, it has bled a bit onto the collar. Not just thread coming off, although there was a fair bit of that too, but some dye actually on the shirt. I washed the collar of the shirt and it came off immediately, and after getting it back from the cleaner you'd never know anything happened. Still, it worries me.

I searched for previous threads on this topic and the view was that the OP had just bought a really low quality scarf. I raise the issue again because I don't think that's the case here. Is there anything I can do to stop the scarf from bleeding without damaging it or fading it? Washing it seems like a bad idea, but maybe I'm wrong.

stubloom

Reaction score
To provide a more informed answer, it would help to know the type of fabric involved (silk? regular wool? cashmere?) and any care label instructions (if any).

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is it possible that it was a fake Begg? I have never heard of a good scarf doing this.

stubloom

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't see the "cashmere" in the header.

The cashmere scarf is most likely "dry clean only". One reason for the "dry clean only" classification could be that the dyes are water soluble (i.e., the dye will "run" or "bleed" if immersed in water).

Were you to perspire while wearing that scarf, the perspiration could could cause the dye to "bleed" and the dye will transfer onto the collar of your shirt.

bing

Reaction score
this from a seller in new jersey??

i bought some and had the same problem. my assumption is that they are not real cashemere. fortunately they were christmas gifts and the people i bought them for have no experience with real cashmere anyways.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bing
this from a seller in new jersey??

i bought some and had the same problem. my assumption is that they are not real cashemere. fortunately they were christmas gifts and the people i bought them for have no experience with real cashmere anyways.

awesome. glad we're not friends.

david123

Reaction score
No, this was not from New Jersey, it was from the UK. I trusted the seller because it seemed like other forum members had bought from her and she had a good reputation on the forum. The label on the scarf does not say Begg, but there was a Begg tag attached. Have other people reading this bought from her and not had problems?

I wasn't sweating and it wasn't raining, so I was surprised that this happened. I thought maybe it was natural but it's never happened with other scarves to me either.

Would having it dry-cleaned once make it less likely to bleed?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Is it possible that it was a fake Begg? I have never heard of a good scarf doing this.

x2. A Begg scarf should not do this. A fake probably will.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
x2. A Begg scarf should not do this. A fake probably will.

But I do believe that when that issue of the Begg Scarves and the low price hit last year (2009) it was confirmed that they were authentic.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lulabel is totally legit and when someone here called Begg to confirm they stopped selling to her for awhile last year. Please do not question her authenticity here. SF has caused her enough grief already. She lives near the Begg outlet
I have bought several cashmere scarves from her and on the first couple of times wearing them, a very small amount of fine wooly residue was deposited on my shirt. It came off with a clothes brush. This effect may be why they are at the outlet. I suspect this may be what you experienced and is no biggie.

stubloom

Reaction score
I would have the scarf dry cleaned in perchloroethylene dry cleaning solvent (aka perc). Relative to other dry cleaning solvents, perc is the most aggressive solvent there is. That cleaning should strip out any "loose dye" in the scarf. At an ordinary cleaner it should cost no more than $3 to $5.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a little digging it would appear these scarves are dyed with natural dye. If that's the case you are experiencing what's called "loose dye". A little bit of transfer is normal with naturally dyed products. If it really bothers you then handwash the scarf cold with a bit of woolite. Rinse well in cold water and squeeze out the excess water. Don't wring it out!!! Lay it out flat and let it air dry.

If it's naturally dyed and like I said I believe it is dry cleaning it will be extremely detrimental to the dye itself not to mention it's bad for the cashmere.

david123

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice. I didn't mean to question the seller or the authenticity, just to get ideas on what to do, which I now have. The scarf looks and feels beautiful. I was just a little worried about the loose dye.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.