Cashmere prices

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, Nov 27, 2004.

1. ernest

ernest Senior member

1 076 euros for a 6 ply cashmere jumper from Faconnable.

Does it sound like a normal price ? Are the other brands so expensive?

I paid it 150 euros in an outlet shop.....

It looks terrific & it is very warm.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

That's a pretty good price, what is the length, knee length?

I bought a Folio (Saks House Brand) 100% cashmere overcoat at Off 5th on Friday for about $185 after tax. They had some ones with LP and Colombo fabric for ~$700-1500 at 60% off, pretty pricey.

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

A six-ply cashmere sweater will be very chunky indeed. (An ordinary cashmere sweater is double-ply; a fine one single-ply.) This sweater can substitute for an overcoat, and, I'm sure, will look verygood in Kitzbuehl or St Moritz. It is quite possible this sweater is hand-knitted.

Although it is not cheap, a six-ply cashmere sweater is such a rare beast, that the price might be well justified.

Why don't you post a picture?

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

What is the knee lenght?

This is a jumper, not a coat.

5. ernest

ernest Senior member

Single ply is better than 2 ply for you?

I am posting tomorrow.

I discovered a little defect = completely broken thread (made of 6 twisted threads) just under the arm and so it makes a hole. I thing it will be easy for me to fix it.

Would it be a good idea to use some wool thread to fix it?

6. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

"fine" in the sense of delicate, ernest. Please don't miss your english lessons to sew this thing.

7. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 28 Nov. 2004, 03:19) Single ply is better than 2 ply for you? Would it be a good idea to use some wool thread to fix it?
    "fine" in the sense of delicate, ernest. Â Please don't miss your english lessons to sew this thing.
    In French fine = fin = thin

8. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 28 Nov. 2004, 03:19) Single ply is better than 2 ply for you? Would it be a good idea to use some wool thread to fix it?
    "fine" in the sense of delicate, ernest. Â Please don't miss your english lessons to sew this thing.
    I managed to fix it pretty well, just with tieing the broken thread properly as if I knited it by hand. It tooks me several hours to find the best solution but now it right. Finaly I am not sure if it is 6 or 8 ply. It is a really warm sweater. Impressing.

9. ernest

ernest Senior member

[​IMG]

10. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

(Kaga @ 28 Nov. 2004, 3:11)
    Single ply is better than 2 ply for you? Would it be a good idea to use some wool thread to fix it?
    I managed to fix it pretty well, just with tieing the broken thread properly as if I knited it by hand. It tooks me several hours to find the best solution but now it right. Finaly I am not sure if it is 6 or 8 ply. It is a really warm sweater. Impressing.
    Well then, we need to factor in your time spent in fixing the darned thing (Bad pun, boooo) when considering how much you paid for it. After all, 150 euro and several hours of your time at...Hmmm...At... Er... Never Mind... [​IMG] JJF

11. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 28 Nov. 2004, 10:50)
    Single ply is better than 2 ply for you? Would it be a good idea to use some wool thread to fix it?

Well then, we need to factor in your time spent in fixing the darned thing (Bad pun, boooo) when considering how much you paid for it. Â After all, 150 euro and several hours of your time at...Hmmm...At... Er... Never Mind... [​IMG] JJF
    May be 2 hours. I like dealing with problem with clothes. I learn how are made garments by looking in details of the knitting. Do you like the cut/color/fabrics?

12. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Yes, actually I do. Sorry for not saying it before.

Is it that cold in france that you can wear it already?

In any event, use it well, and enjoy it.

JJF

13. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 28 Nov. 2004, 5:57) May be 2 hours. I like dealing with problem with clothes. I learn how are made garments by looking in details of the knitting. Do you like the cut/color/fabrics?
    Yes, actually I do. Â Sorry for not saying it before. Is it that cold in france that you can wear it already? In any event, use it well, and enjoy it. JJF
    During winter, temperature are sometimes below zero and often not much more than zero in Paris. And I am rather sensitive to the cold. And this jumper is terrific, never tried such a hot one. Can you imagine paying 1 078 euros for a sweater?

14. ernest

ernest Senior member

1 078 in fact to be precise.

Does it seem to be a pumped price?

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

No, multiply cashmere sweaters are extremely expensive. I had a 12 ply cashmere sweater that I got at a sample sale (in LA of all places) for just under $80 USD, that was slated to retail at $1800 USD. Unfortunately, it was so damn warm that I gave it away. It was like wearing a portable sauna.