• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Jackets in the Summer?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Does this make any sense in a place like DC? I was on a business trip to San Diego recently and popped in to the Ralph Lauren store in La Jolla. They were selling a gorgeous light weight white cashmere jacket they were billing as a summer piece. Looked awesome, but ... I'm wary. Summers in La Jolla are not the same as summers in DC. Sure, a white linen jacket would make more sense here, but I like to wear white and cream linen pants in the summer and a cashmere jacket would add the right sort of textural contrast I like when mixing these colors. Still, comfort is more important in the muggy hell that is my home city.

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
Purchase it, keep the receipt, and wear it around the house to see how it feels. Depending on the price, and how many perfect afternoons you have to wear it, it could easily become a special jacket that serves you for a decade.

Worse case you return it in a month.

cncrd

Reaction score
If it doesn't have a heavy lining it can work on mild days. I have a couple of lightweight cashmere jackets I wear through May and into June if it's not too warm (I'm in NC, so very similar weather to you in DC), but one is unlined and I find that that makes a tremendous difference.

A lot depends on whether you're wearing it while walking around outside, or in an air conditioned office all day. If the latter, since it's a light color and made to be a summer piece, I'd definitely wear it and not worry about it.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it get cooler in the evening?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Doesn't it get cooler in the evening?

Not sure about a white jacket at night (white/black tie aside)

cncrd

Reaction score
Is it white white or cream white? If the former it's going to be a little more difficult to pull off.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sartoria Partenopea I wore yesterday is 100% cashmere. It is light weight, 1/4 lined and sky blue. It is a SS piece, and I intend to wear it all summer. I live in New Orleans, which is actually worse in the summer than DC (where I grew up). It is very comfortable and breathes well.

Mike

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend it. All things equal, a linen coat would wear more comfortably. DC is brutal.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cncrd
Is it white white or cream white? If the former it's going to be a little more difficult to pull off.

White.

Originally Posted by MBreinin
The Sartoria Partenopea I wore yesterday is 100% cashmere. It is light weight, 1/4 lined and sky blue. It is a SS piece, and I intend to wear it all summer. I live in New Orleans, which is actually worse in the summer than DC (where I grew up). It is very comfortable and breathes well.

What is an "SS piece"? Something the Nazi's wore?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
What is an "SS piece"? Something the Nazi's wore?

Spring Summer

koolhistorian

Reaction score
I have a 50% cashmere - 50% cotton jacket (Zegna fabric) that I made for SS - it is unwearable in more than 20 C! So be careful!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an 85% cash 15% silk summer jacket. Cashmere is a great fabric, warm when its cold, but not heavy enough to kill you when its warm. It depends on the thickness of the cashmere of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads