• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere hoody

oldskool

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren came to the market with a beutiful cashmere hoody sweater with a traditional kangaroo pouch pocket on the front last year I think. The price was $399, and they showed it in their ads worn with a suit. This year, Polo.com has the same sweater on line for $525, however it is no longer shown with a suit.

I do not know if this look aver really worked with a suit or not, but the look is cool. A traditional style made upscale with a nice cashmere.

What is the cocensus on the cashmere hoody sweater?? Like it?? Don't like it??

minimal

Reaction score
the cashmere hoody thing was a *great* identifier of personal style, 6+ months ago. i saw some people wear it in various outfits, and was impressed by the ingenuity. it clearly is one of those "wear opposite styles at the same time" things, and one of the few that worked.

however, that has now propogated to the rest of the public. e.g. see banana republic's cashmere hoody ($88), etc.

so, the question is (to me): now that it no longer denotes a strong personal style, is it *still* attractive?

and that, you'll have to answer for yourself.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like cashmere hoodies, but really prefer either boiled wool (for winter - really warm) or cotton ones, which are more harwearing. Cashmere hoodies are nice - but not functional. As for wearing the hoody with a suit? I think that this works better as a downtown look (usually I just wear a hoody under a sportsjacket with jeans).

aybojs

Reaction score
I find hoodies all right, but that godawful trend of wearing them under blazers/suit jackets really needs to stop.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find hoodies all right, but that godawful trend of wearing them under blazers/suit jackets really needs to stop.

It's a look that has been around for a long time. I remember that it was mentioned in GQ a few years ago as something they were doing in the East Village, which means that it was done long before that. Work for some guys. Doesn't really work for guys who've started doing it in the last 6 months.

I think that it looks good because the hood gives some body and balance around the neck area where a shirt collar normally would.

spatten

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider wearing a "hoodie" anywhere out, regardless of the fabric. The only ones I have seen remind me of frumpy sweatshirts.  Although, the cashmere hoodie sounds nice for lounging around the house.

I really enjoy casual and new interpretations of the  sportsjacket, but the image in my mind of a hoodie and sportjacket are too much at odds with eachother.  Something tailored, something not -  clashing.

Perhaps if someone posted a picture of a tastefully done hoodie/blazer combo, it might be useful and I might reconsider.

aybojs

Reaction score
Interesting note. The first time I ever heard of this look was only a few months ago, and it was in a thread on a more general-themed forum. Some kid started a post to say how cool he'd look wearing some hip-hop label (think PhatFarm, Ecko, Triple Five Soul) logo hoodie with some hideously tacky blazer by another of those labels; the blazer was denim or another cotton weave and IIRC had a ticket pocket, zip-up sleeve cuffs, and ugly contrast stitching and patches placed all over it. Needless to say, he got mocked big-time (and deservedly so) by the replies.

So basically that's what I think of when I hear about a hoodie and blazer look. I'm sure that's not fair, but that's all I've seen/heard of the look, and has set my perspective in stone.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own one, but I like the look - under a denim jacket, or a casual overcoat a la Matt Damon and Ben Affleck in Dogma. I was looking to buy PDC's version of the cashmere hoodie a while back - it's got a two-way zip, and a stand-up mock-neck in addition to the hood. Retail, it's just shy of US$500, though, so I passed...

oldskool

Reaction score
clearly one would not pair this look with a fine tailored suit. it works more with a sack style suit, or a pair of wool flannel trousers and a sportjacket.

i was unaware the look was at banana republic, however if that't the case, i'm sure we will be seeing a lot of it this fall / winter.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I don't own one, but I like the look - under a denim jacket, or a casual overcoat a la Matt Damon and Ben Affleck in Dogma. I was looking to buy PDC's version of the cashmere hoodie a while back - it's got a two-way zip, and a stand-up mock-neck in addition to the hood. Retail, it's just shy of US$500, though, so I passed...
Same. I saw the look in Dogma a few years ago and I've been wearing it ever since. I am not afraid of looking trendy when I wear it, because when I wear it, I wear it right.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
isn't it just any movie with jay and silent bob? (although bob/kevin smith wears it with a trenchcoat, doesn't he?)

Brian SD

Reaction score
isn't it just any movie with jay and silent bob? (although bob/kevin smith wears it with a trenchcoat, doesn't he?)
Specifically in Dogma, nearly all the male actors wear a hoodie under a coat. Alan Rickman is the one who really got my attention, wearing a hoodie underneath a full suit.
d123.jpg

Leo Jay

Reaction score
Alan Rickman is the one who really got my attention, wearing a hoodie underneath a full suit.
Rickman looks foolish.  The suit is all wrong for that kind of casual look, and Rickman just wouldn't be able to pull that look off even with the appropriate sportcoat -- it's just not him.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rickman looks foolish. The suit is all wrong for that kind of casual look, and Rickman just wouldn't be able to pull that look off even with the appropriate sportcoat -- it's just not him.
Well, it looks a little silly now, because the look has been generally associated with young people. However, It think it looks alright on Rickman. Particularly because it's a thinner material hoody with a good fit around the neck. Two problems with the hoodie/blazer look: hoods that are too small and material that is too beefy. The first sweathshirt I tried to do this with was a Duffer sweatshirt, it was just too heavy with too much material around the neck. Also, any hoodie with a zipper and a logo runs a risk of too much going on in the chestal area. Never tried a cashmere hoodie, can't say I would. I have thrift store no tag sweatshirt with a Cambridge U patch that serves my needs, blazer or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads