• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cashmere coat in rain

james48

Reaction score
i got caught in some heavy rain last week when running from the car to the building and i was wearing my cashmere overcoat. Now i can literally see where the raindrops hit the coat, it looks like the coat is still wet around the top. The drops where rain hit it is pretty much darker then the rest of the coat. Any idea what i can do? might sound dumb, but im thinking of spraying the rest of the coat with water to just even it out. I have read diff. opinions on cashmere holding up in rain.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Aside, I also wonder how LP storm system or Zegna elements coat (cashmere or wool) hold up in the rain? One thing is for sure: the elements coat is much heavier than the LP icer in cashmere. Of course, Icer was designed for skiing...

james48

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Have you given the coat a thorough brushing?

no i dont have a brush - i know i know, thats unheard of. probably the best idea though, i'll pick one up thanks

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when one begins to dress better, you finally realize "Oh... that's why my parents had (name gadget) and (name other gadget)...

Heck--- even owning a comb seems archaic by today's standards.
wink.gif

aldica

Reaction score
Don't touch it! I agree, insofar as a light brushing is all the should be needed. Anything beyond that, take it to a GOOD dry cleaner

sarto

Reaction score
this reminds me that i should probably take my cashmere coat to the cleaner -- i too got caught in the rain with it about 2 weeks ago -- i've had it for about a year and probably havent taken the best care with it -- like um getting drunk while wearing it. hah.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Have you given the coat a thorough brushing?

Kent has a nice cashmere brush that I use for my knitwear and cashmere jackets. Unless it's a really robust weave, I'd hesitate from using a normal bristle brush.

james48

Reaction score
can somebody suggest a good brush for cashmere? also while we are at it, a GOOD dry cleaner in NY? im in queens, i've had 2 mtm shirts and a mtm suit ruined by 2 different dry cleaners so far - they arent touching my coat

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james48
i got caught in some heavy rain last week when running from the car to the building and i was wearing my cashmere overcoat. Now i can literally see where the raindrops hit the coat, it looks like the coat is still wet around the top. The drops where rain hit it is pretty much darker then the rest of the coat. Any idea what i can do? might sound dumb, but im thinking of spraying the rest of the coat with water to just even it out. I have read diff. opinions on cashmere holding up in rain.

Let it dry out completely (completely!) and then lightly brush it. I agree with others in this thread; it should be fine.

I've never had a problem with cashmere overcoats in the rain myself.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james48
can somebody suggest a good brush for cashmere? also while we are at it, a GOOD dry cleaner in NY? im in queens, i've had 2 mtm shirts and a mtm suit ruined by 2 different dry cleaners so far - they arent touching my coat

???

I just recommended you a Kent cashmere brush. Look at the post just above yours.
plain.gif
Someone's a bit noddy today... Too much mulled wine this Christmas? If you want a website, try:

http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=54&catid=49

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads