• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Blazer - Good Idea or Mistake

Richard0812

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum, so this post is as much to say hello to all on the forum as to ask your opinion.

I have recently purchased a cashmere, 1 button blazer. I have teamed it with jeans, chinos and grey formal trousers to try different looks. The casual looks - jeans and chinos - seem to work well, but I am not sure sure about the more formal look with formal trousers.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am sure it depends on the color and the pattern. Could you post pictures? I don't think pairing an odd blazer with wool trousers would ever be suitable for conservative business dress, but for business casual certaintly.

musososeki

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I am sure it depends on the color and the pattern. Could you post pictures? I don't think pairing an odd blazer with wool trousers would ever be suitable for conservative business dress, but for business casual certaintly.

I don't know, I'd trust a banker in navy trousers and a well-fit, charcoal cashmere blazer. The one-button, though, might be a deal-breaker...

You should figure out a way to make it super formal! What's the venting? Is the front cut-away? Maybe white wool trousers, black patent shoes, cummerbund, bow-tie -the works!- and you'll be the most dashing man at the fundraiser.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musososeki
I don't know, I'd trust a banker in navy trousers and a well-fit, charcoal cashmere blazer. The one-button, though, might be a deal-breaker...

You should figure out a way to make it super formal! What's the venting? Is the front cut-away? Maybe white wool trousers, black patent shoes, cummerbund, bow-tie -the works!- and you'll be the most dashing man at the fundraiser.

smile.gif
I kind of love you. Kind of.

Richard0812

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, great to join a group of people as enthusiatic about clothes as me.

The blazer is navy with side vents. It is from the Chester Barrie RTW range.

The story of how I came to own this garment still leaves me a little bemused. I happened to be window shopping in Savile Row walking passed Chester Barrie and noticed the tailor who used to fit me for MTM at Gieves & Hawkes inside. I popped in to say hello and - much to my wifes amusement - walked out later having bought the blazer, plus a shirt and tie!

I tend to agree, I should probably avoid the more formal look.

musososeki

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
smile.gif
I kind of love you. Kind of.

I love you, too. My philosophy is simple: every man, in his heart, is some mixture of Cole Porter, Truman Capote, and Cleopatra. Measure your outfits against these three giants, and you'll never stray.
cheers.gif

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I find my cashmere jackets wrinkle less when I wear it in the car, maybe to do with the softer material, compared to wool.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not know why, but I have always associated 1 button blazers / odd jackets with evening smart casual / formal wear. I definitely do not feel I could pull off a 1 button blazer during the day without feeling ... odd ...

As for cashmere - worry not. A bit less durable than wool, perhaps a little less "formal", but as with Booth, definitely a smart casual affair.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
As for cashmere - worry not. A bit less durable than wool, perhaps a little less "formal", but as with Booth, definitely a smart casual affair.

that

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics