• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cary Grant, Style Manuals and my OCD

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
*odd question*

On page 190 of the Esquire Handbook of Style there is a photo of CG holding up an unfurled but unopened umbrella while sheltering from the rain on a city street.

Now I know I have the same photo in another of my style books, in larger glossier format than this small book, and I'm pretty sure the caption mentioned something about him wearing suede shoes in the rain, but I cannot find it anywhere. I'm driving my girlfriend mental over this as she doesn't understand mild OCD so I was hoping some of the SF mavens might be able to help. Does this sound familiar? Which book is it in?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
tumblr_l4vlnvHS951qz4h5bo1_500.jpg

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yup ^^ that's the photo I'm on about. Now does anyone have a book with it in other than the Esquire book?

tgt465

Reaction score
The same picture is on page 71 of the GQ Style Manual 2010.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
AARGH!

If I ever meet you at a SF event the drinks are on me. I wouldnt care but I even flipped through that last night (along with about 15 other books, I was convinced it was gonna be in Flusser or the Cary Grant book on style!)

The caption even mentions he is in 'anything but waterproof suede' (guess Scotchguard wasn't invented then!)

Thanks, I might get more sleep tonight!

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
"Wow, those pants are baggy as ****. What a slob. Old man FAIL!!"

laugh.gif

I'm sure he would just chalk that up to sprezz. It seems to be the 'get out of jail' card for any and all fashion faux pas these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads