• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cartier Wedding Band?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am on my fourth or fifth wedding band. The first few were platinum. By the third or fourth, the jeweler refused to sell me platinum and insisted I just get white gold. Keep that in mind when choosing whether to spend a lot on a wedding band.

In any event, the Cartier band in the OP is atrocious. The second, plain Cartier band is fine, but wedding bands are simple objects. Any jeweler can make any design in any material. There is nothing to distinguish a decent jeweler's platinum band from a Cartier band. If the Cartier box makes you feel good, get it. Or better yet, have one of your friends buy a fake Cartier box, put your band in it, and then convince you he got a Cartier band at a great price. If you can fool yourself into thinking you are getting the Cartier magic when you first open the box, you will never notice the difference afterwards.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I am on my fourth or fifth wedding band. The first few were platinum. By the third or fourth, the jeweler refused to sell me platinum and insisted I just get white gold. Keep that in mind when choosing whether to spend a lot on a wedding band.
Is this due to the fact that you loose them ... or have you something in common with my aunt, Mamie? I think it when she asked me to attend her seventh marriage ceremony that I responded, "I'm playing tennis that evening ... l'll just catch the next one."

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NMW1982
I think there is nothing wrong with a little bling.
Yes ... and it announces to the world ... this is how I try to overcome my insecurities and feelings of inadequacy.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, it is pretty boring to be subdued/demur in all aspects of fashion, IMHO.
You seem to be confusing extravagance with gaudyness. Dressing without tacky logos does not mean you have to dress subdued/demure. It is possible to dress in an extravagant way while still being tasteful. See the outfits of posters such as Neofinita, Labelking, etc for examples.

Godot

Reaction score
It's for your future wife and for most women getting the band from Cartier or Tiffanny is a big deal and as hopefully it's going to be a long term thing, I'd say go for it. Having said that I think having the logo showing is in very poor taste.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Is this due to the fact that you loose them ... or have you something in common with my aunt, Mamie? I think it when she asked me to attend her seventh marriage ceremony that I responded, "I'm playing tennis that evening ... l'll just catch the next one."

Fortunately, it is only the bands that I have lost thus far.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That would be a hideous ring even without the extraordinarily tacky Cartier logo.

NMW1982

Reaction score
I agree with this point. There is nothing about the plain Cartier wedding band that sets it apart from any wedding band that a jeweler will make. Thus, why spend 3x the money and buy from Cartier?

I might as well save my money and buy something that looks exactly the same and made of the same material from KMart.

To those who bought the plain band from Cartier, why did you buy from Cartier when you can get the same from Walmart for 1/5 of the price? Was it simply for the red box and the ability to have them polish your ring if you care to stop in one of their boutiques?

Originally Posted by dopey

In any event, the Cartier band in the OP is atrocious. The second, plain Cartier band is fine, but wedding bands are simple objects. Any jeweler can make any design in any material. There is nothing to distinguish a decent jeweler's platinum band from a Cartier band. If the Cartier box makes you feel good, get it. Or better yet, have one of your friends buy a fake Cartier box, put your band in it, and then convince you he got a Cartier band at a great price. If you can fool yourself into thinking you are getting the Cartier magic when you first open the box, you will never notice the difference afterwards.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont shop at walmart, and sure as hell wouldnt buy jewelry there.

The difference between Cartier and the local jeweler is resale value and the value associated with the experience of buying jewelry through a well established brand.

Gold/platinum jewelery that is considered generic, well that sells for scrap value. Cartier on the other hand will sell for a value higher then scrap value because it carries the brand and the quality level associated with that brand.

Its the same reason why the majority of the people on SF buy branded clothing, we know what to expect.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with this point. There is nothing about the plain Cartier wedding band that sets it apart from any wedding band that a jeweler will make. Thus, why spend 3x the money and buy from Cartier?

I might as well save my money and buy something that looks exactly the same and made of the same material from KMart.

To those who bought the plain band from Cartier, why did you buy from Cartier when you can get the same from Walmart for 1/5 of the price? Was it simply for the red box and the ability to have them polish your ring if you care to stop in one of their boutiques?

That... sounds like the battle cry of that quaint subspecies of human known as **** SmallTimer.

It's a wedding ring, not rationalising your stock portfolio. How about just doing away with the wedding ceremony, since the real important thing is getting the documents signed at City Hall? How about just getting a chromed steel ring, since it looks the same from 1m away? Why wear automatic watches when quartz ones tell the time too, and in some instances, better?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
OP is either or both a troll and/or a moron. A moran, even.

Realize, as a male human being, that no matter what you have figured out is going to be your superblingy wedding ring, your fiancee is going to be the one making most of the decisions about your wedding, including that one. And if she isn't, there's something wrong with you/your relationship.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
productimg1217000348843.jpg

I got this for my wedding band. It's not from the wedding collection, but I wanted something with a bit of a subtle design and some thickness to it. Yes, I know the O is not subtle here, but remember, not everyone reads SF. LOL.

NMW1982

Reaction score
The Love ring is pretty interesting. I like it.

Originally Posted by LVoer
productimg1217000348843.jpg

I got this for my wedding band. It's not from the wedding collection, but I wanted something with a bit of a subtle design and some thickness to it. Yes, I know the O is not subtle here, but remember, not everyone reads SF. LOL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics