• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After 11 years and 142,000 miles I decided it was time to replace the stock OEM shift knob and steering wheel badge. Both have taken quite a battering over the years and appeared rather disgusting instead of well patinated, like I had hoped. The culprit? **** plastic and synthetic thin leather.

Here’s the steering wheel stock badge, somehow this has flaked away

CE4703D2-AEC5-44C7-BDE0-392767918F0C.jpeg

I replaced it with a JDM badge from Amazon. I wasn’t a fan as the 3M backing was ****, fell off after a day.

55B4EDE0-18A2-4B82-8101-E8FB4C80A442.jpeg

Instructions said to just stick it over the stock badge and apply pressure. ******! I even removed the fuse for the horn so I could apply even more pressure. So I went to plan B. Took out my Buck Knife, a pair of needle nose pliers and went to work. Let me tell you something...**** off Honda! Why would you need to affix a cheap plastic badge to the wheel using 13 rubber pins? This once 5 minute project quickly turned into an hour. I used a couple dabs of superglue this time and called it a day.

2C716EB5-C8FC-4B1A-9704-0B8794966D35.jpeg

You lose Honda

C1A5B906-E510-4CFF-90FF-318A3AE9F774.jpeg

Now for the shift knob. After 11 years of fondling :lol: the oils from my hand must’ve eaten away at the leather...either that or Honda just cheaped out with synthetic crap.

60361A35-4663-4FEE-BF4E-3C16217508CB.jpeg

Decided on the FD2 Type R knob because it debuted during the 8th Generation, which is what my Si is (2008). It’s got a decent weight to it, but gets super cold, like frostbite cold, in the morning. I’m looking for something to put over it when sitting.

496A3841-6B11-426E-AC34-DE451AAD1BB9.jpeg

Finished result of project came out great. I’m considering a DIY suede steering wheel cover next, but it takes 2 hours to install and I’m not too excited about that lol.

4FBF641B-778A-4036-AF46-B8EEA94010B0.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been awhile since I posted on here, actually took a bit of a 2 month break from SF altogether. Glad to be back though. Figured this was a noteworthy thing to share with the thread.

I was driving in an affluent Jewish neighborhood in Margate City, NJ on my way home and something hit me in the corner of my eye...something yellow & Italian.

There was a Mercedes SL parked in front. Looks like it’s been sitting awhile, considering there’s stuff piled on either side.

Talk about a Holy Grail Car

View attachment 1291280

I want to know the story behind that chair, there. The SL looks to be an SL600 as I can see th2 V12 badges.

I know that area of Margate -- and that Martini Hummer looks like it is parked out front of one of those huge homes on the southern of the two streets that flank Ventnor Ave., and are separated from it by that park space. I have seen some wild cars parked out front of that house pretty much every one of the six or so times I've been down there.

~ H

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to know the story behind that chair, there. The SL looks to be an SL600 as I can see th2 V12 badges.

I know that area of Margate -- and that Martini Hummer looks like it is parked out front of one of those huge homes on the southern of the two streets that flank Ventnor Ave., and are separated from it by that park space. I have seen some wild cars parked out front of that house pretty much every one of the six or so times I've been down there.

~ H

Haha yeah I noticed that chair too, interesting spot for it. Like does he sit there like a king on his throne.

You’re spot on with the location, near Ventnor Ave. I think he owns the Automotive Custom Shop off of Albany Ave heading towards Mays Landing. I’ve seen both the Ferrari & semi-ugly Lamborghini Uranus (lol) parked nearby. Plus the 458 Spider has dealer plates.

Are you local to the area or seasonal visitor/resident? I live in Ventnor City seasonally for now. Got a place overlooking the ocean

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some great choices to have in your garage. I love the lines of the 3.0CS. My uncle had a blue on tan one when I was a little kid. He also had a 280SL, but that was before I was born. I like the GTVs...really cool cars and a beautiful design. A friend has a 2 headlight model that he has used in vintage car rallies.

My godfather had a later model SL (R107) so I rode around in that quite a bit so I guess it made an impression on me. I prefer the vertical headlights. I almost bought one for a steal about 20 years ago but I was going through a (soon to be bitter) divorce and that was that. Lawyers got my car money

The only BMWs I was aware of as a small child were 2002s and I thought them odd birds. I really only became aware of the CS in the 80s after I discovered the 6 series.

There was a wealthy Haitian family on my block and their (and their extended family) car selection was always different from the norm in NYC at the time: Alfas and Renaults plus an odd Triumph or 2 were always in their driveway or parked out front. First Alfa I ever rode in was one of theirs: a Spyder.

I need to stop bsing and start shopping

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
There are a lot more SUBs here in Europe than I would have expected. Most are Kia or Mazda or Volvo it seems, but then there are all the G wagons.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
After 11 years and 142,000 miles I decided it was time to replace the stock OEM shift knob and steering wheel badge. Both have taken quite a battering over the years and appeared rather disgusting instead of well patinated, like I had hoped. The culprit? **** plastic and synthetic thin leather.

Here’s the steering wheel stock badge, somehow this has flaked away

View attachment 1291634

I replaced it with a JDM badge from Amazon. I wasn’t a fan as the 3M backing was ****, fell off after a day.

View attachment 1291635

Instructions said to just stick it over the stock badge and apply pressure. ******! I even removed the fuse for the horn so I could apply even more pressure. So I went to plan B. Took out my Buck Knife, a pair of needle nose pliers and went to work. Let me tell you something...**** off Honda! Why would you need to affix a cheap plastic badge to the wheel using 13 rubber pins? This once 5 minute project quickly turned into an hour. I used a couple dabs of superglue this time and called it a day.

View attachment 1291637

You lose Honda

View attachment 1291638

Now for the shift knob. After 11 years of fondling :lol: the oils from my hand must’ve eaten away at the leather...either that or Honda just cheaped out with synthetic crap.

View attachment 1291639

Decided on the FD2 Type R knob because it debuted during the 8th Generation, which is what my Si is (2008). It’s got a decent weight to it, but gets super cold, like frostbite cold, in the morning. I’m looking for something to put over it when sitting.

View attachment 1291640

Finished result of project came out great. I’m considering a DIY suede steering wheel cover next, but it takes 2 hours to install and I’m not too excited about that lol.

View attachment 1291641

Nice work, trying to DIY something. I can appreciate that.
That Steering wheel though. in general?

Click here and scroll down.

Sometimes the best upgrade for a car is the control inputs. makes any car feel fresh.
(and i'm sure there are fresher ones around.)

edit- Huh, there it is.
https://www.upgarage.com/service/en/stock/detail/401/1909401004220
Worth every cent. 200 times freshness.

Last edited:

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a long distance love affair with that car for years. One of these days I shall have a 3.0 CS in my garage as well as a 1969 MB 280sl (W113)

View attachment 1291584

and an Alfa Romeo GTV 1750 (I prefer the 4 headlight slatless grille and smaller tail lights of the 68 & 69 model years)

View attachment 1291585
Great choices--I love all of these. I had a W107 560SL for a few years before I got dat ZHP. It was a wonderful car.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Average speed of 103 over almost 28 hours and the width of the country sounds truly insane...considering how hard it is to even average 60 over a long road trip

They did have 22 minutes of downtime while refueling ...

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He had some family issues and stopped posting here. I hope he's doing alright. The last posting awhile ago, he didn't sound like he was doing too well mentally/emotionally.

Damn. My last recollection was that he was in Boston and contemplating a move to NYC? Something like that. He seemed to be a smart kid with good sense of humour and a bright future. I hope he's well

Edit:: Just did a search and...Jesus!. I was never in that thread so I never knew. Has anyone talked with him offline in the past 2 years?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads