• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There have been really terrible Mustangs in the past. This isn't desecrating anything.

Damn. Got me again. Making a ****** version of the Mustang is the same thing as turning it into a completely different genre of car. Because, you know, nobody else was making ****** versions of their cars in the 70’s.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure I am biased because these were the cars that looked "old" (but not "vintage") when I was starting to notice cars...but I have always thought these late 80's mustangs were ugly as ****:

4th gen were pretty ugly too (although the 1999 facelift was a big improvement).

5th generation looked pretty good and the 6th gen both looks good AND seems like a pretty good car in my experience.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn. Got me again. Making a ****** version of the Mustang is the same thing as turning it into a completely different genre of car. Because, you know, nobody else was making ****** versions of their cars in the 70’s.

1. Not everything is about you except maybe ricey 911s.
2. I'm not sure what other people making terrible cars in the 70s has to do with keeping the Mustang name to one genre of car.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been really terrible Mustangs in the past. This isn't desecrating anything.

Reactions: A Y

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My parents had a Mustang growing up. It was parked on our slight incline driveway and when I was <5 playing in it, I released the emergency brake and roll backward into our neighbors fence. That's one of the few things I can remember from when I was that young.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I am biased because these were the cars that looked "old" (but not "vintage") when I was starting to notice cars...but I have always thought these late 80's mustangs were ugly as ****:

View attachment 1282466
View attachment 1282469

4th gen were pretty ugly too (although the 1999 facelift was a big improvement).

5th generation looked pretty good and the 6th gen both looks good AND seems like a pretty good car in my experience.

Compared to the Mustang's of the late 70's when I was a kid...those 80's Mustangs really aren't that bad. Look at these abominations ...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno. #2 is an abomination and the paint on #4 is...not my style...but I think those are better looking than the 80s models. Paint the hood on #4 black and it looks alright.

I'd say it was just that I don't like the 80s at all based on them being the cars that looked old when I was a teen (born in 1986)...but stuff like the M3 or Audi Quattro still look pretty good to me, so maybe it is just 80s america that I hate.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno. #2 is an abomination and the paint on #4 is...not my style...but I think those are better looking than the 80s models. Paint the hood on #4 black and it looks alright.

I'd say it was just that I don't like the 80s at all based on them being the cars that looked old when I was a teen (born in 1986)...but stuff like the M3 or Audi Quattro still look pretty good to me, so maybe it is just 80s america that I hate.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree...I hated the late 70's Mustangs...I think those are the worst looking Mustangs of all time. The 80's ones are far from perfect...but in my eyes they were a big improvement.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now Firebirds were legit. My wife had a Trans Am (not this one, photo for representative purposes only) as a teenager in St. Louis in the late 80s and it's a miracle she survived.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, if jaguar can call the i-pace an suv I’m fine with ford calling this a mustang.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads