• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to convince the wife to take a look at the new Lincoln Aviator. I sat in and explored it, but didn't drive. I think it is a nice looking truck with the all important captains seats. We shall see.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
well conquest discount usually doesn't say conquest from MB specifically, just conquest...

Yeah, but in EV, Tesla is the sole competition and everyone else is just lapping up the leftovers at this point. But it did say MB and BMW, so I think we're at a distinction without a difference; it makes perfect sense to me. Obviously, YMMV. Nice pun there too on my part.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty common to get a discount if you're coming over from a brand's direct competition. When we were looking at an Audi there was a 1k discount if you were coming from MB or BMW.

But when you advertise too many discounts it doesn't look good for a "Tesla Killer" and "Car of the Year" :)

There are about 10 new I PACEs sitting at our local Jaguar dealership for a very long time already. They don't offer Tesla discount here though )

Prices for I PACE are starting at $100,000 CAD, for $115,000 you are getting Model X with 525 km of range, bigger vehicle + superchargers, base autopilot and other Tesla stuff. I PACE's range is about 350 km I believe. So for about the same money you have to really love Jaguar or really hate Tesla to go with I PACE )

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You've got an entrenched market leader. I think most folks that can afford a 100k car know enough about business they understand new players are going to have to buy their way into the market space.

I've really no hound in this hunt but it doesn't seem off putting in the least to me Jag is taking direct aim at the 800 pound gorilla of EVs. If it bugs you don't get a Jag!

brokencycle

Reaction score
To me it was like buying a Microsoft Zune or a Dell MP3 player, why try the alternative when you could buy the leader. I had two LR3s, mechanics were fine, it was the technology that was the problem. It won't be the electric motor that has issues, but rather the technology in that car.You cannot underestimate the charging network that has already been created and expanded daily. I also think the new Tesla insurance is a way to mask the invaluable data the company has collected over the last x years, which they are trying to monetize. Data will replace oil as the biggest commodity at some point, Tesla will again be a leader there.

By that logic, you shouldn't buy an iPhone because Android is the clear market leader. I don't want Tesla collecting my data and selling it. I don't like that Tesla released personal information about a driver that was involved in a fatal crash.

Tesla does not have a monopoly on car technology. That doesn't make sense: most reviews say Mercedes/Audi have better tech in a lot of areas than Tesla. In fact, I read one review of Cadillac CT6 that said the semi-autonomous driving was at least as good if not better than Tesla because they have mapped out large chunks of highway and it is fully autonomous in those areas.

It's also a Jaguar which means it's going to have a residual value of $0 and spend half of its life in the shop.

I wouldn't go near it with a 10 foot pole.

Everything I have read is that is an outdated view of Jaguar. Reliability is actually pretty good. As for depreciation, the curve looks pretty similar to any other European brand. They have a huge hit years 1-3, and then it slows greatly.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree about not having a monopoly, but they have the first mover advantage where others are playing massive catchup at the risk of becoming irrelevant. Caddy might have a better system or one that is close, but again they are playing catchup and will not be able to keep up. The over the air software updates were a key selling point for me getting comfortable with a purchase of the car. To get the updates i receive you would wait for the next version of the Mercedes/Audi, which might have better tech for now. My point is first mover advantage, over the air updates and ability to swap out for a faster chip gives Tesla the lead even if it is not the best at every aspect.

I am happy to have Tesla collect the data to improve the car, selling to make my insurance cheaper and providing overall driving habits to improve safety. After all isn't that how insurance works fundamentally? The collection and selling of data to determine the probabilities of an accident? I believe they released personal information after a massive lawsuit was filed claiming Tesla acted in neglect by making the car to fast.

By that logic, you shouldn't buy an iPhone because Android is the clear market leader. I don't want Tesla collecting my data and selling it. I don't like that Tesla released personal information about a driver that was involved in a fatal crash.

Tesla does not have a monopoly on car technology. That doesn't make sense: most reviews say Mercedes/Audi have better tech in a lot of areas than Tesla. In fact, I read one review of Cadillac CT6 that said the semi-autonomous driving was at least as good if not better than Tesla because they have mapped out large chunks of highway and it is fully autonomous in those areas.

Everything I have read is that is an outdated view of Jaguar. Reliability is actually pretty good. As for depreciation, the curve looks pretty similar to any other European brand. They have a huge hit years 1-3, and then it slows greatly.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did more poking around and got totally distracted when i discovered this Tesla Solar thing on their website. If i give Elondouche any of my money, it would likely be for this and not his roombas :p

I also looked up World Car of the Year - i guess it’s a legit award given out by prominent journalists in each major car market? That might not be totally legit but no worse than something like Motor Trend COTY...

But to give Tesla its due, i think it’s fairly clear that no one’s been able to land a significant blow to their position yet. And yeah, they’re still innovating. I’m still most likely going to go down with the ICE ship in the future, but if i do consider EV’s, right now there’s no technical reason not to go Tesla. The reasons not to go Tesla are (a) their CEO is a Bond villain with none of the charm, and (b) their interiors would make General Motors in the 2000’s laugh.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yup as a total package no one beats Tesla, very few manufacture pumps out OTA update, no one has as much e-range and without the infrastructure

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want Tesla collecting my data

You don't have to share it.

I personally don't see a problem with sharing the data, since we are doing it with our cellphones and social media. Here it helps Tesla to improve its autopilot and see what happened in the case of an accident as I understand.

48760514257_fa04796ddc_c.jpg

That doesn't make sense: most reviews say Mercedes/Audi have better tech in a lot of areas than Tesla.

Didn't hear much about that.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree about not having a monopoly, but they have the first mover advantage where others are playing massive catchup at the risk of becoming irrelevant.

Funny enough, but the most solid choices are coming from Chevy, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia. Good range, decent technology. Design is weak in most cases and again lack of infrastructure so far.

I was thinking of getting Kona EV, but the idea of waiting for at least half of year to get a Hyundai is kinda silly )

48599395676_6468e41911_c.jpg

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tesla posting on twitter that ring time was 7:20, will be back next month aiming at 7:05, @Foo they are coming for you. I would imagine the roadster will make an appearance in the new year, breaking records

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If your family has a second car for road trips, maybe it is fine, but if it is your only car (or just the car you want to use long distance thanks yo auto pilot), a Tesla with supercharger access is the only option.

If you are just commuting around town, home charging and the occasional public charger is ok, but otherwise it is a deal breaker.

Sure, you could rent a car, but that sucks compared to just packing up and leaving in your own fancy car. And again, you lose the magic self driving features that you would have had with the Tesla and which are most useful on long highway drives.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your family has a second car for road trips, maybe it is fine, but if it is your only car (or just the car you want to use long distance thanks yo auto pilot), a Tesla with supercharger access is the only option.

If you are just commuting around town, home charging and the occasional public charger is ok, but otherwise it is a deal breaker.

Agree. We were travelling in British Columbia on Model X and superchargers made it very comfortable. At some point it wasn't enough to get home so in 10 minutes at supercharger (while kids went for a restroom break) I've added about 100 km. More than enough to get to the destination.

I didn't use much of autopilot though. I still trust myself more )

Great vehicle. If I had that kind of budget for a second car I would get X in the blink of an eye ))

47627098262_2089e1d017_b.jpg

46943564964_47eb835884_b.jpg

46728374635_5ced29c286_b.jpg

40660823623_e97cd0601d_b.jpg

46919891404_148d5475e5_b.jpg

40660837123_6c92119335_b.jpg

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I do NOT need insurance companies getting my driving habit data.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads