• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm asking because I want to go, but looks like wife has some apple picking plan for kid this Sunday, so guess not...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm asking because I want to go, but looks like wife has some apple picking plan for kid this Sunday, so guess not...

Unless its part of a school project for the kids or your wife invite other families/friends, why not ask Mrs. Clee if you and the family can go to the car show this weekend, and then the family can go apple picking next weekend?

It's worth a try and I have to admit, I had to go apple picking once and found it to be a boring waste of time.... "Oh great dear, now we've killed part of a day and have 2 bags of apples for $50!" - Mrs. Dino made the most expensive apple pie I've ever had. She makes fantastic apple pies, but it didn't taste any better getting the apples at a farm vs. from the supermarket Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's car show this weekend and apple picking next weekend.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For non-track events, my region does 2 or 3 per year (but I imagine our driving season is much shorter than yours, many people store their fun cars from November 1 through April up here). I've done one this season, and there is another one coming up that I am doing.

However, I've also developed a network of car buddies and sometimes we do our own drives, even to PCA events. Another friend of mine who now lives in California and owns a Boxster Spyder and a 964 Targa has done the same and now goes for drives with his other Boxster Spyder friends or sometimes his aircooled/911 friends. The tough part is usually picking a destination and a good route for everyone to drive.
Thanks. This year, we’ve done one so far, that i wasn’t able to make. Although in fairness, this year’s Parade was in Boca Raton, so that probably sucked up most of everyone’s time and attention.

I do ‘unofficial’ runs with people too - mainly my longtime BMW group. Only issue is that recently, some people have started doing stupid **** during the drives that i’m not comfortable with...if this continues and these people are invited back, i’m gonna stop going. I think the PCA events are better controlled because the organization has a reputation to uphold

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless its part of a school project for the kids or your wife invite other families/friends, why not ask Mrs. Clee if you and the family can go to the car show this weekend, and then the family can go apple picking next weekend?

It's worth a try and I have to admit, I had to go apple picking once and found it to be a boring waste of time.... "Oh great dear, now we've killed part of a day and have 2 bags of apples for $50!" - Mrs. Dino made the most expensive apple pie I've ever had. She makes fantastic apple pies, but it didn't taste any better getting the apples at a farm vs. from the supermarket Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's car show this weekend and apple picking next weekend.
Plus the good apples aren't even available yet. You have several weeks until the good stuff is in season.

Clee, are you in Long Island? If you're closer to Westchester there's a pretty great place in Rockland County that has food trucks, breweries show up, kids stuff like petting zoos and bounce houses, etc. and a big country store all in their orchard. sadly, I was not allowed onnt hr bounce house, but I did drink and play with baby cow while eating a burger. my gf looked at me horrified.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. This year, we’ve done one so far, that i wasn’t able to make. Although in fairness, this year’s Parade was in Boca Raton, so that probably sucked up most of everyone’s time and attention.

I do ‘unofficial’ runs with people too - mainly my longtime BMW group. Only issue is that recently, some people have started doing stupid **** during the drives that i’m not comfortable with...if this continues and these people are invited back, i’m gonna stop going. I think the PCA events are better controlled because the organization has a reputation to uphold

I've never done the Parade, its almost always way too far and not at a good time of year for me. But yes, I imagine that was a big event in your neck of the woods.

PCA does run pretty good drives...although that's not guarantee that people won't do dumb things or that accidents won't happen. Me and a few of my local car group were going to a car museum, and neighboring PCA region was doing a drive there and going to the museum, and a bunch of their guys got into an accident.

As for people doing stupid **** during unofficial runs, I guess I would ask are those people doing the stupid **** your actual friends? Or are they just people who have been added to the group? By that I mean, are there some main organizers you can speak the dangerous drivers? Maybe those individuals should not be included in future drives as they probably pose a danger to others in your group, and the public at large.

I've been an organizer for several drives in the past. I have also been in charge of the invites and who makes the list. If I see or hear that somebody was doing stupid things, they are no longer invited on the drives. We don't want anyone's cars damaged or anyone to get injured. We also have a list of rules to try to keep things safe and enjoyable for everyone. Plus we have a brief drivers meeting to go over a few things and I always remind people, "We aren't attempting to break land speed records. There is no trophy for arriving at the restaurant/destination first, and we don't want anyone to end up being one of those Youtube videos for doing something stupid and wrecking their own car."

Maybe you need to chat with a few good guys from your BMW group, explain what you see going on and splinter off to have your own group. Wishing you luck!

*Edit I would also ask how big is the unofficial BMW group that usually drives together? I've done drives for big groups 25+ cars and smaller groups 10-14 and by far it was easier and more enjoyable with smaller groups. Its more manageable, the group has an easier time staying together, and you really know who is in the group.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can try, but I'm not going to start the sentence wit
Plus the good apples aren't even available yet. You have several weeks until the good stuff is in season.

Clee, are you in Long Island? If you're closer to Westchester there's a pretty great place in Rockland County that has food trucks, breweries show up, kids stuff like petting zoos and bounce houses, etc. and a big country store all in their orchard. sadly, I was not allowed onnt hr bounce house, but I did drink and play with baby cow while eating a burger. my gf looked at me horrified.

I'm driving from Roosevelt Island, so close enough, what's the exact name?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you guys seen the trailer for Ferrari vs Ford? Looks cool. I thought it was Porsche who beat Ferrari though.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so the end results
1. didn't go
2. a bit too early for apple
3. prime time for peaches though...
4. and I drove 100+ miles (round trip to 200+ miles...) for just that...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
14776A54-270B-41B5-8E5D-4496E7DDB354.jpeg
B9739D36-0781-4CA8-B5D5-7F3998B3B6A1.jpeg
B85F69C5-78A8-45D6-9089-55AA80E6FB79.jpeg
EA77FBA3-7726-451D-A28D-2B901549BC60.jpeg
BF514D30-907A-434A-A68F-10AA5E4994AD.jpeg
02074815-FA37-4964-AE86-03F7CF21BEA9.jpeg
E238A3A8-8BAA-4279-81F5-A1028F062562.jpeg
E1AD290E-3CC7-4FBE-A2FD-1CDB92CE30F4.jpeg
B79DA4A8-5A1C-40F1-9A6F-71C1C4F6BAAB.jpeg

A few photos from a local Porsche drive yesterday. My car was filthy after the drive so it got a much needed bath when it got home. For @Thrift Vader a photo of a 280ZX at one of the pit stops along the way.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really love your build choice Dino. From the wheels, to the color choice, and the various options...it is all great when combined into one package.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@jbarwick Thank you! Mrs. Dino gets credit for the color combination of the dark metallic blue and the 2 color gray interior with deviated stitching, and brushed aluminum trim rather than plastic. I picked the performance options (wheels, 6 speed manual, torque vectoring with limited slip, sport chrono, pasm, sport exhaust). It was fun to build it, but man those options add up quickly. Still it’s a blast to drive and great for a long weekends especially with 2 trunks for luggage/souvenirs. Cheers!
866D4B04-9D3C-4328-8A3F-691004D31DF9.jpeg
DBB93BBA-011B-4FAD-B44E-6F5F03A6E22E.jpeg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1241869 View attachment 1241870 View attachment 1241871 View attachment 1241872 View attachment 1241873 View attachment 1241877 View attachment 1241878 View attachment 1241879 View attachment 1241880

A few photos from a local Porsche drive yesterday. My car was filthy after the drive so it got a much needed bath when it got home. For @Thrift Vader a photo of a 280ZX at one of the pit stops along the way.
Now that’s what i’m talking about.

The Cayman, is it night blue metallic? Looks like that on the close-up, but looks more metallic with more gray than i remember with that color.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that’s what i’m talking about.

The Cayman, is it night blue metallic? Looks like that on the close-up, but looks more metallic with more gray than i remember with that color.

Yes, it was a fun drive on lots of winding back roads, with a mix of new and older Porsches. There were about 14 cars on the drive, and no crazy/dangerous driving behavior. We also knew a third of the couples there from our own local non- PCA cars & coffee meets, so it makes attending these events or the lunches afterwards more fun.

The color of our Cayman S is called Dark Metallic Blue. Its actually the same color as my friends 991 Turbo S parked next to it in one photo (but his was built a year later so not even close to the paint batch when ours was painted). The lighting plays lots of tricks with this color making it look very different depending on the lighting conditions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads