• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, doesn't some of that depend on the gear ratios and such as well?

Yes, different gearing will multiply torque differently. But unless you're trying to measure the torque of an engine in isolation with your butt, this is kind of a moot point. Most people don't change a car's gearing (and when they do it's usually the diff gearing), so you have to judge the car as a whole package, gears and all.

Lower gears can give you more torque, but then you have to shift sooner as you reach redline at a lower road speed. This may be important if you're worried about 0-60 times, but at high speeds, higher gearing can help you get to higher speeds, assuming your engine has enough power. Gear spacing is another thing that can affect your perception of acceleration.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What I love best about cars like this (including Porsch.......ahhhhh) is that it helps you slow down life and enjoy the little subtleties you wouldn’t otherwise notice. You’re much more in-tune with your surroundings too. At least for me that’s what I experience each time i Pilot the 328GTS.

@Dino944

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But to me it is like these morons in America that insist on calling soccer football.

Sorry, but when guys say Poorsh, to me they sound like country club wives who know nothing about cars. If you like saying it the wrong way, go for it.

As for the game of soccer/football- its not a person's actual name. You are talking about 2 different terms for the same game.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're French you wouldn't pronounce the "th" sound. It's just a "t' sound. No one in America pronounces Louis Vuitton right because they don't say it in the proper French pronunciation.

People pronounce a lot of things incorrectly. However, it doesn't make it correct or mean they should get a reward for doing so.

If someone's last name was spelled Booth, and he/she told me it was pronounced BooT, then I would then say it that way.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This conversation reminds me of my war against the non-existent cocktail referred to as the "vodka martini." No such drink exists on a technical basis but millions of vodka martinis are consumed in the US on a daily basis. So basically pick your nomenclature to suit the crowd you're currently speaking to.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m with Booth on this one.

Unless you are saying it in a German sentence, it’s perfectly reasonable to say it the way the word reads in ‘murican. Pronouncing it like a German person when you are otherwise speaking in English is as discordant as people who pronounce other non-English words as if they were native speakers. Do you Portia speakers also say Folksvagen? Do you always pronounce non-English words the way a native speaker pronounced them or do you anglicize anything else? Is your car from Germany or Deutschland? Do you say jag-waar or jag you ar? Once you go down this road it never ends.

Also are you guys going to pronounce their new car the Tie-kahn (which is what Porsche prefers) or will you pronounce it like a normal person?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless you are saying it in a German sentence, it’s perfectly reasonable to say it the way the word reads in ‘murican. Pronouncing it like a German person when you are otherwise speaking in English is as discordant as people who pronounce other non-English words as if they were native speakers. Do you Portia speakers also say Folksvagen? Do you always pronounce non-English words the way a native speaker pronounced them or do you anglicize anything else? Is your car from Germany or Deutschland? Do you say jag-waar or jag you ar? Once you go down this road it never ends.

Also are you guys going to pronounce their new car the Tie-kahn (which is what Porsche prefers) or will you pronounce it like a normal person?

Porsche is family name. Not merely a German word or German phrases. Again, why not call a Ferrari a Ferrar or a Lamborghini a Lamborghin.

Feel free to drop the last letters of all sorts of words if it makes you happy. It doesn't make it correct.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to be annoyed at Ralph Fiennes. I always said, if you wanted to be called Ray Fines, why not spell your name Ray Fines!!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Also, martinis should be stirred, not shaken. That said I'm sure the majority of martinis served everyday in the US are shaken.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What I love best about cars like this (including Porsch.......ahhhhh) is that it helps you slow down life and enjoy the little subtleties you wouldn’t otherwise notice. You’re much more in-tune with your surroundings too. At least for me that’s what I experience each time i Pilot the 328GTS.

@Dino944

Thanks for thinking of me. I saw that video earlier today. Vintage cars are not for everyone. They have their quirks, but with the right car and some great roads they can be a lot of fun to drive. I was recently driving the 328 with friend who has a Testarossa and another with a Maserati, and we all had a blast!

brokencycle

Reaction score

What if I pronounce it jag-wire?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Porsche is family name. Not merely a German word or German phrases. Again, why not call a Ferrari a Ferrar or a Lamborghini a Lamborghin.

Feel free to drop the last letters of all sorts of words if it makes you happy. It doesn't make it correct.
Well I don’t pronounce Ferrari like an Italian would say Ferrari if that answers your question. I pronounce it like an American.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads