• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the deal with CVT, good or garbage? I'm looking for a new car and want a smaller engine.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you get a free pass, because you don't know any better. germans fail in these aspects. especially in Durability and Tactility.

you need a car that can do it all. well.

I’ve owned and driven my fair share of sporty Japanese cars. Obviously, I liked them.

But you are making silly, over-broad comments about “German” this or “German” that while completely discounting any fact or opinion that does not favor Japanese cars.

Weight is a fact. My Prelude SH was 3,100 pounds. My RSX Type S was 2,900 pounds. My dad’s 300ZX was 3,200 pounds. The Nissan Sylvia Spec R is 2,800 pounds. Each of those cars makes about 200 horsepower (or less).

A new Civic Type R weighs 3,100 pounds and makes 300 horsepower, turbocharged. A new Nissan GT-R Nismo weighs 3,900 pounds and makes 600 horsepower, also turbocharged.

My GT3 was 3,100 pounds stock and is now 2,950. It makes over 500 horsepower, naturally aspirated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Her name is Betty!
FullSizeRender.jpeg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the deal with CVT, good or garbage? I'm looking for a new car and want a smaller engine.
Garbage. Particularly if you like spirited or ‘performance’ driving. Good news is that you don’t have to get one even in cars with smaller engines or a focus on fuel economy. Plenty of options out there with a perfectly good automatic transmission with gears. Or even a few with manual

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I’ve owned and driven my fair share of sporty Japanese cars. Obviously, I liked them.

But you are making silly, over-broad comments about “German” this or “German” while completely discounting any fact or opinion that does not favor Japanese cars.

Weight is a fact. My Prelude SH was 3,100 pounds. My RSX Type S was 2,900 pounds. My dad’s 300ZX was 3,200 pounds. The Nissan Sylvia Spec R is 2,800 pounds. Each of those cars makes about 200 horsepower (or less).

A new Civic Type R weighs 3,100 pounds and makes 300 horsepower, turbocharged. A new Nissan GT-R Nismo weighs 3,900 pounds and makes 600 horsepower, also turbocharged.

My GT3 was 3,100 pounds stock and is now 2,950. It makes over 500 horsepower, naturally aspirated.

But, you have not experienced them built to the spec of your car.

Your car is a beast. It it has a target on it. Because if you and others want to say it is the benchmark?
You are the new guys. paying your way in.

a 400+hp streetcar, built right, will dance around a GT3.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is your criteria, Vader? It will still be a streetcar. Are you just talking sheer speed?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
What is your criteria, Vader? It will still be a streetcar. Are you just talking sheer speed?

most "street cars" i see could do 11's, but are setup to handle. throw all the weight out. and add a cage? these cars aren't playing.

$1m . . . . lmfao.
Veyron is slow per dollar.

criteria? has plates, is silly fast.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But, you have not experienced them built to the spec of your car.

Your car is a beast. It it has a target on it. Because if you and others want to say it is the benchmark?
You are the new guys. paying your way in.

a 400+hp streetcar, built right, will dance around a GT3.

Paying my way in? Dude, what would you have to pay to make a Civic Type R equally competitive—not just in terms of track performance, but also refinement, durability, street drivability, etc.? Will any amount of money make it look or sound as good?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
most "street cars" i see could do 11's, but are setup to handle. throw all the weight out. and add a cage? these cars aren't playing.

$1m . . . . lmfao.
Veyron is slow per dollar.

criteria? has plates, is silly fast.

Veyron is not my cup of tea. But reducing its appeal to quarter-mile times is totally missing the point.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Depends what Gen.

but if you want to go fast? Prelude. with the H22 engine.

**** Civics. if you handed me a blank Cheque? =a H22 Turbo S660.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Porsche is never going to win the performance-per-dollar game. Especially if you want to pit them against light, deathtrappy 90’s cars with mods.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally-speaking getting a "regular" car to the level where it's going to realistically compete with a GT3 is going to be expensive and result in a car you'd probably not like very much in daily-type driving. The beauty of something like that is it can be great in both worlds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads