• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like the wheel designer was never given a picture of the car and told to make something to certain specifications. C5 - C7 wheels all looked good...these are questionable at best.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Still not sold on it vs the S660.

it seems like the roid guy late to the party.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kinda rather have a used flat 6 Cayman for half the base price. (Don't tell that to my dad).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I feel like the wheel designer was never given a picture of the car and told to make something to certain specifications. C5 - C7 wheels all looked good...these are questionable at best.

Not just the wheels. The whole car feels very Frankenstein. A lot of prior-gen Ferrari and Lambo mixed together with a strong dose of Camaro. Front bumper and grille area look just like current-gen GT3.

If you didn’t know this was a Corvette, you wouldn’t know it’s a Corvette. I would have guessed some sort of Chinese vaporware car. Geely Strongvette, anyone?

Elements I hate most are the oversquare rear end and the exaggerated side gashes.

Kinda rather have a used flat 6 Cayman for half the base price. (Don't tell that to my dad).

Same as it ever was. The Corvette will remain the red-blooded American sports car in the field, and the best performance-for-dollar value out there. But I’d bet real money that the same sorts of issues will arise that always have. Not as refined. Not as precise. Feels cheap. Various engineering flaws (i.e. overheating). Etc.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same as it ever was. The Corvette will remain the red-blooded American sports car in the field, and the best performance-for-dollar value out there. But I’d bet real money that the same sorts of issues will arise that always have. Not as refined. Not as precise. Feels cheap. Various engineering flaws (i.e. overheating). Etc.

With the exception of engineering flaws and aesthetics, some of this just comes down to tradeoffs that have to be made to hit a price point.

Moving the engine behind the driver is supposed to alleviate a number of disadvantages the corvette has had so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. This story about a ride-along makes it sound like we should throw some of our assumptions about corvettes out the window.

And of course, no one is immune to engineering flaws. Even Porsche which is by all accounts the most reliable manufacturer or performance vehicles, has had its issues (IMS, RMS, etc.). Given the dramatic change in architecture, I would suspect there will be gremlins to shake out in the first few years and it will probably take until late in the C8's run or for the C9s before we've got a more fully resolved product. If I had to put my money on what the biggest issue with C8s will be - I would probably point to the PTM calibration in the first few years. Sounds like they've really gone for a sharp-handling car for maximum performance which means it will be less forgiving than the front engine corvettes the clientele is used to. Will GM neuter it with conservative calibration or risk letting people get into too much trouble with settings appropriate only for experts? I wouldn't be surprised if spinning C8s replaces Mustangs as the cars and coffee danger du jour.

Also, as to precision - not sure that's fair to recent corvettes which by all accounts have been precise. Refinement is a different story - I suspect you are referring more to suspension compliance than NVH but people will differ on their preferences in any event. Again will be interesting to see how this gen differs.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect that anyone who says a C7 can't rotate hasn't been in one on the track. Those things rotate, and willingly, which makes the sensation all the more weird, because the car feels very wide when you sit in it, so it feels like you're pointing this very wide and long nose at stuff. The rear mid-engined config will change how it feels and reacts for sure, but the C7 is no slouch at all. And this is without hooning the car with the throttle.

The internal architecture of the C8 looks very impressive from what we've been told, but then again marketing will always paint a more positive picture than reality. The car's internal metal frame is stiff enough to let the cars all be targas, and not require a big step-over door sill. I don't think the frame can be shared with any other car in GM's lineup: it's too specific for a mid-engined car.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m still out of town, but i got these pics from the person who has my car rn....i think it needs the ride height lowered a bit

F7491ADB-94BC-4C1F-B9AB-D97E4C8CE1D2.jpeg
B8758F35-3B60-4856-98F4-C368ED1274C6.jpeg
B019A540-E8F8-4BAD-BCF3-5C89260E7CDD.jpeg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
VW killing off the Sportwagen and Alltrack has spurred all of these "Here are the only wagons you can still buy in the USA" articles.

And they all go right for the Outback.

Does anyone still consider the Outback a wagon? For the last 10 years or so, it has sat between the ford escape and edge in length/height, and nobody has ever called one of those a wagon.

It's just a Legacy crossover now. Nobody was cross shopping a Golf Sportwagen and an Outback. The Alltrack was an Outback contender, but even though it is 6-7" shorter than the outback, I still have trouble thinking of it as a wagon.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Crosstrek is very nice and I see lots of them here in southern California.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads