• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#italianengineering

Hate to break it to you but I’ve experienced my fair share of dead batteries on Audi’s, Bentley & Porsche’s while at Ferrari, especially Bentley. Those things were notoriously dying and needed trickle charging.
#germanengineeringmyths

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hate to break it to you but I’ve experienced my fair share of dead batteries on Audi’s, Bentley & Porsche’s while at Ferrari, especially Bentley. Those things were notoriously dying and needed trickle charging.
#germanengineeringmyths

I have not heard of Porsches or Audis experiencing chronic battery drain en masse. My car sits for weeks and weeks without going low.

Come on—you can’t really argue it is normal for any car to fully drain its OEM battery after only a few days of non-use, can you? Even lightweight lithium-ion batteries can last weeks in a high performance car with a high draw.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not heard of Porsches or Audis experiencing chronic battery drain en masse. My car sits for weeks and weeks without going low.

Come on—you can’t really argue it is normal for any car to fully drain its OEM battery after only a few days of non-use, can you? Even lightweight lithium-ion batteries can last weeks in a high performance car with a high draw.

Did I say that they were OEM batteries? From my experience with our massive off-brand inventory, I noticed a trend. To be fair it was mostly with Bentley, which went dead just from sitting a few days after repair. Actually Ferrari’s didn’t really have that issue. Maserati did though. Some of the new Ferrari’s did but those were mostly new models that didn’t go through PDI yet.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you VW and it’s fanbase for helping to save the Manual.

Speaking of VW & Manual. BTW what do you think that wire is that hanging below?

660EABC5-C8A2-4B78-B001-01742621FB6F.jpeg

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you VW and it’s fanbase for helping to save the Manual.

Speaking of VW & Manual. BTW what do you think that wire is that hanging below?

View attachment 1207001

"Volkswagen is planning to take the axe to the standard Golf and sell only the GTI and R in America"

Why do Americans hate hatchbacks?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Who the **** tosses an off-brand battery into a Bentley?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who the **** tosses an off-brand battery into a Bentley?
I’m not positive it was either, off brand or OEM. They could’ve just as easily been OEM. All I know is that they were ****.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can feel the difference in the handling from the weight reduction.
That 5 lbs of weight savings is really noticeable in a 5800 lb vehicle!

OEM lead batteries can easily exceed 60 pounds. Lithium ion batteries in carbon fiber housings with similar capacity can be as low as 5 pounds. Cost is $700 - 2,000.

50+ pounds is a meaningful chunk to cut out of a ~3,000 pound performance car. And there’s no cheaper way to do it. Also, batteries tend to be mounted relatively high up, so there’s the added benefit of lowering your center of gravity.

Add a lightweight exhaust and wheels, and you can potentially shed another 40 - 80 pounds. Altogether, it can be 4 - 5% of weight reduction. That is real.

Commence the assault. Going to sleep.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Jersey stereotype (and I don't mean Jersey Shore) is
#germanengineeringmyths
My M635 has a slow drain. One of the previous owners put a ton of stereo stuff (Nakamichi tape deck, amp, tweeter pods, etc.- that I'd love to get rid of) that I assume is the source of the drain, but it's not unheard of on stock models either.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would be aligned with this. Not once did my battery in any of my VAG cars die after weeks of not using it.

Only time I've experienced battery failure was because my truck alternator quit to become a chef.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads